Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rear flip, spring questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SIERRA323
uhh... i HAVE a flip kit, maybe thats why i know that it affects ride... i am familiar with the installation of one, since i did mine myself. i didnt think it would affect ride quality either, but you know what, it DID. (i think it has something to do with the position of the overload spring; it looks a little funny)

hmm... i thought trucks were meant to be able to haul heavy stuff in the back? GM springs: higher load capacity, little less ride quality... aftermarket springs: better ride quality, less load capacity....

ok.... 4x4s are meant to have ground clearance right? the axles are angled to accommodate for the height. lower that height, and you change the angle....
try lowering one 3 or 4 inches and see how long they last... but then again, it depends how you use the truck in the first place.

do you even have one of these new trucks? they are not exactly the same as the old ones, you know....
but what do i know? im just some jackass that talks trash just to get people's attention......
First of all the rear of the new trucks is almost exactly the same as the old ones, just with more frame clearance(hence the lack of a c-notch). There is no reason why a flip kit should ride different on ANY truck. The whole point of a flip kit is that the stock travel isn't affected at all. So scientifically speaking there should be almost no difference in ANY form of suspension handling, travel, or ride.
What kind of shocks are you running? My guess is that your truck rides like **** because you cheaped out on shocks or maybe you're just running shock extenders.

In response to your second question, I have yet to see a set of leaf springs that rides better than stockers. The reason is that drop leafs aren't arched as much and that's how they get their drop. With less of an arch the suspension is more harsh. Besides, most aftermarket leaf springs are designed for performance/handling with ride quality being the sacrifice.

Third, what would be wrong with running a 2" spindle and decranking 1"? What about if I ran DJM's 4x4 drop arms. Hell what if I ran drop arms and a spindle(GMracer did this)?

There isn't a kit out for the nnbs 4x4 trucks yet so we can't discuss it, but DJM actually makes a 3" kit in the front for 99-07 trucks that maintains stock specs for alignment and won't eat through C/V's. There are plenty of 4x4 99-07 guys dropped 3" or more.

Oh and you do come off as a jackass getting all offended by my previous comments. I'm glad you own an 07, that's good for you. For what it's worth though, you can still own a 07 and be a jackass who has no idea what he's talking about(not saying you are a jackass.......*or am I?*).
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
First of all the rear of the new trucks is almost exactly the same as the old ones, just with more frame clearance(hence the lack of a c-notch). There is no reason why a flip kit should ride different on ANY truck. The whole point of a flip kit is that the stock travel isn't affected at all. So scientifically speaking there should be almost no difference in ANY form of suspension handling, travel, or ride.
What kind of shocks are you running? My guess is that your truck rides like **** because you cheaped out on shocks or maybe you're just running shock extenders.

In response to your second question, I have yet to see a set of leaf springs that rides better than stockers. The reason is that drop leafs aren't arched as much and that's how they get their drop. With less of an arch the suspension is more harsh. Besides, most aftermarket leaf springs are designed for performance/handling with ride quality being the sacrifice.

Third, what would be wrong with running a 2" spindle and decranking 1"? What about if I ran DJM's 4x4 drop arms. Hell what if I ran drop arms and a spindle(GMracer did this)?

There isn't a kit out for the nnbs 4x4 trucks yet so we can't discuss it, but DJM actually makes a 3" kit in the front for 99-07 trucks that maintains stock specs for alignment and won't eat through C/V's. There are plenty of 4x4 99-07 guys dropped 3" or more.

Oh and you do come off as a jackass getting all offended by my previous comments. I'm glad you own an 07, that's good for you. For what it's worth though, you can still own a 07 and be a jackass who has no idea what he's talking about(not saying you are a jackass.......*or am I?*).
dude, im not trying to start an argument here, calm down.... i was just stating my experience with the flip kit so far... ive gone through 2 different sets of shocks for the back, neither of which were cheap... but when did i say that the ride sucks with a flip? i just said that the leafs may provide a better ride... hence me telling him to pm jb1 about it

ok, yes you could get away with lowering the front more than 2 inches, but if you actually try to use the truck as an actual truck, you may damage the axles.... i have a few friends that went through this... it also said it on my mcgaughys kit to not lower more than 2"
im not trying to scare him out of doing it, just saying what ive seen and heard... by all means try it if it has been done successfully....

and NO, im not trying to show off my truck being an 07... its no better than yours or any other for that matter. i was just asking if you have one because the ride is a little different in these new trucks than the previous ones....
the leafs may be stiffer or something....
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

I wasnt trying to start a stir over this, and now I think I may be more confused than before. I am not that familiar with lowered susp. My last truck only had drop shackles. The new one's IMO look alot better lowered at least 3-5. Is this possible on the 4x4 without screwing up the cv's. and as far as the back goes, I have two opposite opinions.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.8bowtie
I wasnt trying to start a stir over this, and now I think I may be more confused than before. I am not that familiar with lowered susp. My last truck only had drop shackles. The new one's IMO look alot better lowered at least 3-5. Is this possible on the 4x4 without screwing up the cv's. and as far as the back goes, I have two opposite opinions.
Yes you can go lower. Just run a set of spindles and de-crank. Spindles won't affect your suspension one bit. They just relocate the position of the hub 2" lower.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RandomHero
Yes you can go lower. Just run a set of spindles and de-crank. Spindles won't affect your suspension one bit. They just relocate the position of the hub 2" lower.
I understand the susp. doesnt change, but it does put the half shafts on a different angle to the wheel. I've looked at all the major brands of kits and havent seen one that is designated for a 4x4 that has more than 2 inches of drop up front, regardless of how they acheive it. Of course it is possible to go lower with other componets besides spindles, but can the axles take that much. Seems to me that if it were possible someone would sell it that way, or maybe they are just being cautious.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.8bowtie
I understand the susp. doesnt change, but it does put the half shafts on a different angle to the wheel. I've looked at all the major brands of kits and havent seen one that is designated for a 4x4 that has more than 2 inches of drop up front, regardless of how they acheive it. Of course it is possible to go lower with other componets besides spindles, but can the axles take that much. Seems to me that if it were possible someone would sell it that way, or maybe they are just being cautious.
The problem is, is that there isn't a set angle for which cv angles become dangerous. I don't know of any knuckle lifts out for 4wd 07-up trucks but on the 99-07 trucks they offered a 3" spindle lift and you could crank another 1.5". That's going 4.5" in the opposite direction of being lowered, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to run 2" spindles and decrank.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

You'll have to go spindles at least on the front if you want it lower. You cannot decrank the torsion bars on a NNBS because they don't have them. I'm not sure if there's a drop arm out for them either; but maybe the 2wd ones work. FWIW I have a flip kit on my truck with the stock shocks still because I haven't installed the new ones yet and it actually rides better than my previous setup unless the shocks bottom out. My previous setup was shackles and spring clamps and it was bouncy from the overloads being clamped to the main pack.

Also, your 4x4 probably has a block in the rear so a flip kit would give you close to 9" of drop over stock. Removing the block will give you 2" and a flip kit will give 7" without the 1" lifting shackle.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

You're right I forgot the NNBS trucks run the coilover setup.

As far as the rear. The kit is listed as a 7" but that's because of the factory block in the rear. Take out the block and you'll be at around a 5-6" drop in the rear. If that's still too low then add a drop hanger setup. The way the NNBS rears are setup a drop hanger actually lifts the truck back up 2"
Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ok; I forgot that the block was counted in to the drop height.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

I didnt know there wasnt any torsion bars to decrank. I guess that shows how much Ive looked at it. I'd have to go with coils and spindles to get 3 inches up front. And a 7 inch flip without the blocks would give me around 5 in the back then?

Quick Reply: rear flip, spring questions?