Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rear Sway Bar??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 12:00 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update......

Hey fellas I installed my Hellwig rear sway bar today as well as my Prothane Polly bushings on my front sway bar. The front end links did need to be trimmed down to clear the rubber brake lines, but we went for a test drive and the front end dosen`t roll over as much and it is putting a beating on my stock General tires now. I mean what do you expect putting that much pressure on soft side wall tires with the new setup. You can now feel the tires side walls roll over and then start to grab. Now the rear sway bar was a bitch to install becauce of the self locking nuts, but other than that the install was simple and to the point. The fugged up thing was that it was raining here in Houston for the test drive so I didn`t get a chance to corner hard. I did do some hard left and rights on a straight road and I did get the tail end to come around on me a bit. Even when I take neighborhood corners and normal speed the rear seems to follow with the front of the truck a whole lot better. It almost feels like I shortned the wheel base. I can`t wait untill the weather dries up so I can see what she really will do. I hope it`s not to loose because this truck dosen`t have the power to correct it like the Camaro dose. I`ll get back with you fellas when I get a chance to corner in it when the weather clears up.
Al
Old 01-14-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds good, cant wait to hear the dry weather test drive results. Ive been considering one of these myself.

Dont expect those generals to last long with any aggressive driving. They are way too soft for my taste. The shoulders were bald after 20k miles.

-Lurius
Old 01-14-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was curious why do they say if you have a locker do not install one ??
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
i was curious why do they say if you have a locker do not install one ??
Not a 100% sure but isn`t a locker like positive traction. Please correct me if I`m wrong. If you go aroud a corner with a positive traction rear end your most outside tire will rotate as fast as the inside tire therfoer causing a squeel, or the outside tire will spin to fast and squeal. Like I said not to sure on a Detroit Locker rear. Thats whats so cool about the limited slip rear. They are made to take corners just like NASCAR uses. If you have a drag truck go with the positive traction thats your best bet, but if you like to corner stay with the limited slip rear. It actually unlocks the most outside tire and lets it spin freely untill you straighten the car or truck out. Then it works like a positive traction unit when the vehicle straightens out.

Last edited by al; 01-14-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i kno what they are i had one , but i remember readin dont install a rear sway bar on a truck with a locker/posi , but i never knew for what reason
Old 01-14-2007, 02:14 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lurius
Sounds good, cant wait to hear the dry weather test drive results. Ive been considering one of these myself.

Dont expect those generals to last long with any aggressive driving. They are way too soft for my taste. The shoulders were bald after 20k miles.

-Lurius
I agree. I will be going with a more agressive alighnment soon and you know what.....there is just to much side wall there to roll over. I`m trying to find SS 20s that will add more unsprung weight, but as much as these trucks weigh the unsprung weight to sprung weight ratio, I think I will be fine. I will go with some negative camber to adjust the wear as well as handeling.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
i kno what they are i had one , but i remember readin dont install a rear sway bar on a truck with a locker/posi , but i never knew for what reason
So is a Detroit Locker the same as a Posi. Trac.???? I saw a show on Spike TV with Cam and Dean that was Dean Scuza that I saw him run funy car top fule here in Houston. ( Baytown ) He said somthing about the Lockers being realy noisy as well.

Last edited by al; 01-14-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:31 AM
al
TECH Enthusiast

I edited post #14. Please read the last part to see how a limited slip rear end works.
Al