Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rearend locked up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend locked up...

Yesterday at work, on my lunch break I jump in the truck to get some grub, start it, put it in D, made it about 6inches and kerplunk! The SOB locked up on me. Tow truck driver had a blast getting it on the flatbed. Its the worst sight ever too. Ive had problems with this thing since I got the truck. At one point it was one tire fire, then a locker/ solid axle, and recently its been a trutrac.

Ive been waiting on this thing to go out, but I didn't need it to happen this soon and put a damper on getting the motor done for summer!

So I guess I will be ordering stuff sooner than I expected to
I'm planning on running 3.73s and a detroit trutrac.

What do you guys think and opinions are welcome!
Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I have the Detroit and 4.11's and I couldn't be happier. I had AxisT6 do the install.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your planned engine/torque converter combo? (consider tire height also) Base your gear selection around that I'm looking forward to doing a trutrac myself, they're solid units for sure
Old 02-27-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f4tal
Ive had problems with this thing since I got the truck. At one point it was one tire fire, then a locker/ solid axle, and recently its been a trutrac.

Ive been waiting on this thing to go out, but I didn't need it to happen this soon and put a damper on getting the motor done for summer!

Lemme see if I got this right. You smoked out a peg leg 1st, then a locker, & most recently, a Truetrac? If that's the case, what are u doin? Either a lot of power or just really abusive on rears? :nunchuk1:
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Lemme see if I got this right. You smoked out a peg leg 1st, then a locker, & most recently, a Truetrac? If that's the case, what are u doin? Either a lot of power or just really abusive on rears? :nunchuk1:
I thought that he was saying that was the way his current diff was acting, like a peg leg (G80 inoperative), locker (G80 stuck lol), then trutrac (G80 functioning)...man if he's broken all of those rears I want to know what king of power he's pushin through them
Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
I have the Detroit and 4.11's and I couldn't be happier. I had AxisT6 do the install.
X2 for me.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by f4tal
Yesterday at work, on my lunch break I jump in the truck to get some grub, start it, put it in D, made it about 6inches and kerplunk! The SOB locked up on me. Tow truck driver had a blast getting it on the flatbed. Its the worst sight ever too. Ive had problems with this thing since I got the truck. At one point it was one tire fire, then a locker/ solid axle, and recently its been a trutrac.

lol i just missed gettin there when the tow truck was takin it away......i almost wish mine would lock up so i would have an excuse to put a trutrac and some 4:10s in it lol
Old 02-27-2010, 09:44 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No, he said his stock rear end has been a 1 legger, then something probably broke causing both to spin most of the time.

I think it broke from all the gayness
Old 02-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Where's the Beef?

Don't wait for it to break or you risk buying all new gears and possibly rearend too.
Change it before it's a problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I thought that he was saying that was the way his current diff was acting, like a peg leg (G80 inoperative), locker (G80 stuck lol), then trutrac (G80 functioning
ya that!

Originally Posted by gs7793
lol i just missed gettin there when the tow truck was takin it away......i almost wish mine would lock up so i would have an excuse to put a trutrac and some 4:10s in it lol
I said that all the time but now that it actually happened im wishing otherwise!

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
No, he said his stock rear end has been a 1 legger, then something probably broke causing both to spin most of the time.

I think it broke from all the gayness
GFY

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Don't wait for it to break or you risk buying all new gears and possibly rearend too.
Change it before it's a problem.

Eh, what happens happens... I agree with you but I wanted new gears and a tru trac anyways.
Hopefully its not down too long

Quick Reply: Rearend locked up...