Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out

Ok, long story short my trans is slipping in 2nd and 3rd, and bad when its hot. So I am looking in to rebuilding as opposed to a used 60 or even an 80e swap. So hit me, what do I need? clutches, servos? valve body? Just looking for a basic rebuild and making it a little stronger. At most the truck will only see cam/stall and maybe a posi. Got other plans for a project

looking to do it all myself or with someone local who has some know how. Open to all suggestions and help, thanks guys
Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm no expert, this is just my opinion. You def. don't need a valve body. Granted I have about as much **** as u can throw at a 60E as u can get, but I was wondering how versed w/. tranny rebuilding u are? I mean no offense.

If I were to do: clutches, steels, servos, & ... IIRC, it's the accumulator that is made of plastic, get the alum. version. Do a shift kit.

I know it was awhile ago, but look up the rock. He did a rebuild using Sonnax stuff. He was very happy cause he wanted a refined shift not a bang your head against headrest. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy, just search his posts.

Oh ya, if doin stall, add a cooler. IDK if ya tow or not, but it's cheap insurance. If ya have a factory cooler, a bigger cooler isn't hard to put in its' place & even a 40K is pretty inexpensive.

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-11-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I'm no expert, this is just my opinion. You def. don't need a valve body. Granted I have about as much **** as u can throw at a 60E as u can get, but I was wondering how versed w/. tranny rebuilding u are? I mean no offense.

If I were to do: clutches, steels, servos, & ... IIRC, it's the accumulator that is made of plastic, get the alum. version. Do a shift kit.

I know it was awhile ago, but look up the rock. He did a rebuild using Sonnax stuff. He was very happy cause he wanted a refined shift not a bang your head against headrest. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy, just search his posts.

Oh ya, if doin stall, add a cooler. IDK if ya tow or not, but it's cheap insurance. If ya have a factory cooler, a bigger cooler isn't hard to put in its' place & even a 40K is pretty inexpensive.
yeah I really haven't even seen a trans pan off so I was just naming things Im familiar with being in a trans, haha. Im by no means an expert on anything, just very mechanically inclined so I much rather do it myself even if I have to do it several times versus spending a ton of cash on the truck right now because of other plans/engagements for my funds at this point.

I will search for the rock's posts, but I didnt find any help in the tranny section, haha. Trans cooler will be getting put in regardless of what goes back in the truck, trust me, I live in AZ, its necessary regardless

So based of what you said I should be good getting better clutches, steels, servos, and the accumulator? I am just trying to get an idea of the parts list so I can start hunting prices and preparing for the longest day of my life, haha
Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
yeah I really haven't even seen a trans pan off so I was just naming things Im familiar with being in a trans, haha. Im by no means an expert on anything, just very mechanically inclined so I much rather do it myself even if I have to do it several times versus spending a ton of cash on the truck right now because of other plans/engagements for my funds at this point.

I will search for the rock's posts, but I didnt find any help in the tranny section, haha. Trans cooler will be getting put in regardless of what goes back in the truck, trust me, I live in AZ, its necessary regardless

So based of what you said I should be good getting better clutches, steels, servos, and the accumulator? I am just trying to get an idea of the parts list so I can start hunting prices and preparing for the longest day of my life, haha
I hear ya. Prior to swappin for old 60E out & my L7 in, I hadn't done a trans (actually 3) in my '89 C1500. The only trans I've rebuilt & that was w/. help, was a TH350, yrs. ago. So that's basically a non OD 60E. 60E just has more **** in it.

Personally, I don't need (want) tire chirps just nice, quick shifts.

I knew ya lived in AZ, & I kinda figured you'd want a cooler for that alone.

Alto Red clutches, Kolene steels are the ones I commonly seen. BTW, that TH350 I did had em. I think now someone has what's called Z or a Z-pack or green clutches. B-W might be the maker, it's been a year since I've looked. Sorry I can't be of more help or more clear, but once I don't need info, I kinda purge it from my head.

Look up some brands & try to find pros / cons to em. I've heard Level10 sells **** now, so I'd stay away there.
Also, check to see the cons on a Kevlar band. If it isn't somethin that concerns you, do it.

My best advice is again, look up the rock. He did a build w/. Sonnax & was extremely happy. If I had to build myself, I'd probably follow his build to some extent, at least. And I'd need to get a few tools for the 60E too.
I liked what I saw in "the rock" thread. Also, call FLT or look what FLT does, do some of those things u can afford.

And I usu. go overkill, so I don't have to worry again. At least w/. a trans.

Don't think of it as longest day of your life.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am gathering the parts for my new trans. I did alot of research and talked to various people. I will be using:

OEM tans for forward and reverse clutches
Raybestos Blue Plate Special for the 3-4
Raybestos Pro-Series Band
Corvette servo
Superior 4th servo
Superior Shift Kit
4l65e input shaft
4l70e output shaft
Circle D converter

I am also probably going to pick up some 5 pinion acdelco planetary.

Zippy had a really nice parts list in one of his posts.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

I hear ya. Prior to swappin for old 60E out & my L7 in, I hadn't done a trans (actually 3) in my '89 C1500. The only trans I've rebuilt & that was w/. help, was a TH350, yrs. ago. So that's basically a non OD 60E. 60E just has more **** in it.

Personally, I don't need (want) tire chirps just nice, quick shifts.

I knew ya lived in AZ, & I kinda figured you'd want a cooler for that alone.

Alto Red clutches, Kolene steels are the ones I commonly seen. BTW, that TH350 I did had em. I think now someone has what's called Z or a Z-pack or green clutches. B-W might be the maker, it's been a year since I've looked. Sorry I can't be of more help or more clear, but once I don't need info, I kinda purge it from my head.

Look up some brands & try to find pros / cons to em. I've heard Level10 sells **** now, so I'd stay away there.
Also, check to see the cons on a Kevlar band. If it isn't somethin that concerns you, do it.

My best advice is again, look up the rock. He did a build w/. Sonnax & was extremely happy. If I had to build myself, I'd probably follow his build to some extent, at least. And I'd need to get a few tools for the 60E too.
I liked what I saw in "the rock" thread. Also, call FLT or look what FLT does, do some of those things u can afford.

And I usu. go overkill, so I don't have to worry again. At least w/. a trans.

Don't think of it as longest day of your life.
haha have you been drinking? thanks for the help tho man, I appreciate it. I have heard from another member that multiple people are running stock trans' on boost and pretty hefty set ups without problems... I hope the chime in...
Originally Posted by stevenc
I am gathering the parts for my new trans. I did alot of research and talked to various people. I will be using:

Corvette servo
Superior 4th servo
Superior Shift Kit
4l65e input shaft
4l70e output shaft
Circle D converter

Thanks dude, that helps quite a bit, really. As for the ins and outs I dont think I'll be changing because I dont plan on ever putting enough down to worry about em haha. It sounds like I have a parts list I need to research tho. I really appreciate the help guys!

now if a tuner can chime in for some trans tuning and recommendations for shift pressures and shift times, etc....
Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Alright heres a parts list I have already priced out, thank you Ebay.

Raybestos Z-pak clutches (3-4)
Raybestos Pro Band
Superior 2nd servo
Superior 4th servo
Shift kit - Transgo HD2
AC Delco 5 pinion Planetary

sound like Im missing anything or anything I should change or dont need?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use a corvette servo for the 2nd. The superior will be very firm.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevenc

Corvette servo
Superior 4th servo
Superior Shift Kit
4l65e input shaft
4l70e output shaft
Circle D converter

That sounds like a nice parts list, Steven. How much did ya find a ACDelco 5-pin planet for?

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
Alright heres a parts list I have already priced out, thank you Ebay.

Raybestos Z-pak clutches (3-4)
Raybestos Pro Band
Superior 2nd servo
Superior 4th servo
Shift kit - Transgo HD2
AC Delco 5 pinion Planetary

sound like Im missing anything or anything I should change or dont need?
I'm surprised ya ante'd up for a ACDelco 5-pin planet. If ya go the upgraded planet, do get the ACDelco, not an aftermarket.

You said u heard from another member that multiple people are running stock trans' on boost and pretty hefty set ups w/o problems. Stock 60E's? Or stock 80E's? I have heard of guys doin that on stock 80E's, & its' stock stall. Or even, built 80E's & stock stall. Personally, a stock 60E worries me too much. They must be luckier than me & most on here. Are they actually beating on em?
I was told to leave shift pressures alone. Shift times & shift points tho...

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-12-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

That sounds like a nice parts list, Steven. How much did ya find a ACDelco 5-pin planet for?

I'm surprised ya ante'd up for a ACDelco 5-pin planet. If ya go the upgraded planet, do get the ACDelco, not an aftermarket.

You said u heard from another member that multiple people are running stock trans' on boost and pretty hefty set ups w/o problems. Stock 60E's? Or stock 80E's? I have heard of guys doin that on stock 80E's, & its' stock stall. Or even, built 80E's & stock stall. Personally, a stock 60E worries me too much. They must be luckier than me & most on here. Are they actually beating on em?
I was told to leave shift pressures alone. Shift times & shift points tho...
I was told just stock clutches. And I was told KBracing98 was using a completely stock 60 before it bit the dust...

at any rate, found the AC Delco 5-pin for 180 ebay

as for the superior servo, Im not worried about shifts being too firm, my 00 would throw your *** back in to 2nd and 3rd. I just want the dam thing to last because I am not wanting to do a trans swap or any more trans work after this as I will have a project car for that and use my truck for everything else. That being said I read that the superior has the most apply area something like 35% over OE.

Thanks guys for the input, now if I could get some help when doing this I think I'll be set haha

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out