Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
I was told just stock clutches. And I was told KBracing98 was using a completely stock 60 before it bit the dust...

Thanks guys for the input, now if I could get some help when doing this I think I'll be set haha
And you are WRONG! ... It never bit the dust! In fact it's in WJ Marks truck right now cuz he broke his FLT V. I ran it in my truck behind the boosted 4.8 for 40k miles, never broke it. (TG Sft Kit and vette servo). Decided when I built the LS1 I should upgrade to a built tranny which I broke the out put shaft twice. Then I fixed it and sold it to 2ktransam who put it in his 408 NA f-body. That car runs 10's and pulls the front wheels, Got the PB Lev 3 80e in the truck now!

Check out transmissioncenter.net for parts and the auto trans section on tech. There is a couple write ups in there about rebuilding 4l60e I think.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
And you are WRONG! ... It never bit the dust! In fact it's in WJ Marks truck right now cuz he broke his FLT V. I ran it in my truck behind the boosted 4.8 for 40k miles, never broke it. (TG Sft Kit and vette servo). Decided when I built the LS1 I should upgrade to a built tranny which I broke the out put shaft twice. Then I fixed it and sold it to 2ktransam who put it in his 408 NA f-body. That car runs 10's and pulls the front wheels, Got the PB Lev 3 80e in the truck now!

Check out transmissioncenter.net for parts and the auto trans section on tech. There is a couple write ups in there about rebuilding 4l60e I think.
haha you must have had a factory freak! I've killed a 70k mile 60e, a 120k mile 60e behind a 4.3! and now a 170k mile, which I got to admit its still alive which has impressed me.

Thanks for the info Kyle! now as for my parts list, what do you think? over kill for what the truck will see, or necessary due to miles and what not?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was told just stock clutches. And I was told KBracing98 was using a completely stock 60 before it bit the dust...

at any rate, found the AC Delco 5-pin for 180 ebay

as for the superior servo, Im not worried about shifts being too firm, my 00 would throw your *** back in to 2nd and 3rd. I just want the dam thing to last because I am not wanting to do a trans swap or any more trans work after this as I will have a project car for that and use my truck for everything else. That being said I read that the superior has the most apply area something like 35% over OE.
$180 is far less than I woulda thought. Maybe they're more common than when I needed 1 in my 89 C1500. FWIW, it was a worn 162k 700r4 that lasted a week, then a built 60E lasted 2wks.(4 pin planet fractured in 5 places & took out I believe the sun shell too) Same builder, then a 2nd built 60E w/. 5 pin planet lasted 1 wk. shy of a yr.(snapped output shaft) All on a mild 95 LT1. It chirped 2nd, & 3rd. Way too aggressive, that & a worn rearend may've led to all their demise.
Live & learn. So u can see why I'm not sold on the 60E. Maybe it was worn rear or hard shifts or ...
My FLT in this truck is sweet tho.

Superior was the stuff I was gonna use on my next build cause they seemed to have the biggest apply area, but that may've created issues. It's in FLT's hands now, so no worries.

Post up a free beer in AZ thread, you'll get some help. Heck, some new members might join too.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

LMFAO, thanks man. I think I'll figure it out eventually, haha. I just want the dam thing to last really, and like I said it'll see a cam at the most. Hoping a cooler, some upped pressures and the right parts will keep it together
Old 07-14-2010, 04:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMFAO, thanks man. I think I'll figure it out eventually, haha. I just want the dam thing to last really, and like I said it'll see a cam at the most. Hoping a cooler, some upped pressures and the right parts will keep it together
if your building it with a shift kit, you don't want upped pressures.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this should put you on the right track...
Beast Sunshell
Borg Warner 29 element sprag
13 Vane pump rotor kit
GM 5 pinion planetaries
Sleeved input drum, machined overrun piston, & steel overrun piston
Alto wide 2-4 carbon band
Borg Warner hi-energy clutches w/ Koleen 3-4 steels
Transgo HD-2 shift kit & separator plate
Aluminum accumulator pistons
Corvette & Sonnax super hold 4th servo's
Bushing, bearing & thrust washer kit
solenoids, seal & gasket kit

I spent quite a bit of time reading up on 4l60 rebuilds and put this parts list together based on the info I gathered. Its not complete, but it will definitely save you some time. As far as your shift firmness and reliability, well there's a fine line there. You dont want to be slamming into tire chirping shifts, thats where you start breaking hard parts. You want a firm, quick shift. That will net you every bit the same performance with much more reliability. I would use the corvette servo with the sonnax and set your line pressures back to stock to start with. If you want them any more firm, simply add a little line pressure.
Hope this helps
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just rebuilt my tranny in my 10sec camaro not to long ago, check out the thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...resh-pics.html
Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Ok, this should put you on the right track...
Beast Sunshell
Borg Warner 29 element sprag
13 Vane pump rotor kit
GM 5 pinion planetaries
Sleeved input drum, machined overrun piston, & steel overrun piston
Alto wide 2-4 carbon band
Borg Warner hi-energy clutches w/ Koleen 3-4 steels
Transgo HD-2 shift kit & separator plate
Aluminum accumulator pistons
Corvette & Sonnax super hold 4th servo's
Bushing, bearing & thrust washer kit
solenoids, seal & gasket kit

I spent quite a bit of time reading up on 4l60 rebuilds and put this parts list together based on the info I gathered. Its not complete, but it will definitely save you some time. As far as your shift firmness and reliability, well there's a fine line there. You dont want to be slamming into tire chirping shifts, thats where you start breaking hard parts. You want a firm, quick shift. That will net you every bit the same performance with much more reliability. I would use the corvette servo with the sonnax and set your line pressures back to stock to start with. If you want them any more firm, simply add a little line pressure.
Hope this helps
If you use the wide 2-4 band I would highly recommend a perfectly new rev. input drum. If not then the band normally burns on the outer edges. I've also had great luck with a standard alto band, but with the good billet 2nd servo, HD pump slide spring, and sonnax .490boost valve
Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P.A.T.C. sells a reinforced carbonite band that is standard width. It is very strong, and very aggressive. I have tried a wide band, and will never go that route again. Only lasted 6 weeks, burned on the outer edges(with a new drum). I think the carbonite band was around $36 or so. I also understand that it is manufactured only for them......if that's true......I dunno.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

I think a kit like this will do you good. Not to mention everything else that was listed prior. servos is up in the air. I hear both are good. Sonnax is good but not overly firm and the superior is much more firm. In some case too firm.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L60E...Q5fAccessories

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4L60, help me out