Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Recently Installed True-Trac

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmmm alright. It's been in for about 200 miles. I think I will flush it and see if that helps. What kind of gear oil would be the best?

would synthetic make it feel really choppy?

Definitely didn't get a locker. It was a trutrac.

It feels choppy around corners and in a straight line if I spin them.

Gonna check and make sure the parking brake is adjust properly too.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Castrol Hypoy C 80-90 in mine.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are ya supposed to run just "regular" stuff not synthetic in a Truetrac? Just cuious. I know it's recommended to run a non-syn. in my FLT tranny too. It's done on tranny as far as clutch surfaces needing to grab, & syn. tranny fluid is too slippery. That said, the Truetrac uses gears.
It flies in the face of what OEM's are doing, & they always say synthetics free up HP. Is that it, or is it an extended service life sorta thing?

I figure if anything, OEM's wanna extend service of fluid(s) 1st, HP isn't as great as a concern for them.

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-12-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Why are ya supposed to run just "regular" stuff not synthetic in a Truetrac? Just cuious. I know it's recommended to run a non-syn. in my FLT tranny too. I know why it's done on tranny as far as clutch surfaces neeed to grab, & syn. tranny fluid is slippery. That said, the Truetrac uses gears.
I believe it goes along the same principle, make all the moving stuff inside the trutrac able to lockup faster and you have quicker lockup of the posi. at least thats my understanding on the matter..?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ya, the Tru-Trac uses heli-cut gears that bind and lock when toque is applied. Synthetic gear oil is too slippery for them to bind properly. That's why they say to use regular old dino gear oil.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Ya, the Tru-Trac uses heli-cut gears that bind and lock when toque is applied. Synthetic gear oil is too slippery for them to bind properly. That's why they say to use regular old dino gear oil.
Kyle, so why does OEM have synthetic "pkgs" then? Just for service life or ponies or...Not disagreeing just wonderin.
Like skolman, I thought it might be along the same principle, "to make all the moving stuff inside the trutrac able to lockup faster and you have quicker lockup of the posi."
So it improves performance thru quicker lockup but at what cost? More frequent Truetrac fluid changes I'd think. How often should a Truetrac's fluid be changed?

If so, I think I hear an answer coming, it depends on how hard u use it.
Just track maybe once a month, no towing.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-04-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, so why does OEM have synthetic "pkgs" then? Just for service life or ponies or...
Cuz of the 100,000 service they want or what ever it is. They want oil life. The G80 and open diffs works fine in what ever oil you put them in.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thought so. Thanks, but what about the other questions, Kyle?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thought so. Thanks, but what about the other questions, Kyle?
Oh sure, go and edit your post on me! There is no real "ware" parts in a tru-trac, like clutches, so they will go a LONG time. If you changed the oil every 30K, you'd be well ahead of most people, Even if you only did it every 75k, I doubt you would still ever ware anything out.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Oh sure, go and edit your post on me! There is no real "ware" parts in a tru-trac, like clutches, so they will go a LONG time. If you changed the oil every 30K, you'd be well ahead of most people, Even if you only did it every 75k, I doubt you would still ever ware anything out.
You replied before I finished typin; I'm slow at typing. That's why you = u... & other shortened forms.
71K on original tranny & rear, neither ever changed. It doesn't it make it right, just how it is, but have a valid excuse or 2. I thought I'd have a FLT at 50K, so that explains that, & rearend...well, I can't stand old rearend fluid smell. That stinks & if u get it on your clothes, ehh, just nasty smelling hard to remove from clothing.
But there again, I thought by now, I'd have a Truetrac. So goes my finances & plans.

Good thing is tho, if all goes right, I'll have my FLT installed in ~1wk. And now that I worked some surprise OT today & Sat will get some hrs., I can swing a Truetrac soon too. Real soon, a month tops.

Last edited by fastnblu; 05-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Recently Installed True-Trac