Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Replace OEM TRANS cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace OEM TRANS cooler

I have seen a number of threads with people running the perma cool trans cooler. I have the OEM cooler with the tow package. I tow at a max lbs and I want to protect my trany the best I can. I was thinking about just replaceing the stock one. I dont really want to fool with trying to add another one, but maybe..... I saw this thread https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=347549
and made me think more about just replacing my OEM

Is it worth upgrading? Are the aftermarket that much better really?
And is the PERMA cool the one of choice? What size.....

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment about the OEM trans. cooler, didnt' have one except the one built in the radiator. Running more than one cooler is very easy to do. If I can squeeze a B&M and an Perma Ultra cool with no modification whatsoever you can add a smaller aftermarket one to the OEM easy. What I like about the B&M is that the fins are very duarble, they don't bend or flex like the cooling fins on the Perma cool. If a rock hit the B&M, a scratch, if one hit the Perma cool it would bend all the fins in the contact area. The B&M kit cam with everything to hook up the cooler, the barbed fittings, hose, hose clamps etc, although I did have to get more hose than they supplied.
The Perma cool comes with a very short thick hose, No barbed fittings, looks like a radiator adapter (but I dont think it fits ours, correct me if I'm wrong) and that's it. However Since you already have an OEM cooler you don't need the barbed fitting or such.
IMO, I'd say get the B&M 24,000 gvw for your application. Cheap, strong, and effective.
Philip S.