Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

replacement flywheel/upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circle-D
399754 is the TCI 4L80 version. But I would check for a noise elsewhere. We have had zero problems on the flexplate you have, very stout piece. Maybe converter bolts or cranks bolts are loose?

Chris
well post #5 here describes a problem

this thread describes another -

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xplate-536942/

and to top it all off, my nice shiny new flexplate makes it so much easier to spot the cracks on it from the cover on the bottom.

I'm shot from work today, but I'll have the trans down tommorrow (I have everything disconnected and its ready to drop just didn't have a clean bucket to drain the fluid into and had to be up at 5 for work) to add some wonderful pictures to add to the list. I haven't checked the crank bolts but the convertor bolts (all 6 were tight as hell and loaded with locktite, took quite some effort to bust them loose.....to the point I ordered some ARP ones for the next go around)

I had the trans gone thru because I didn't feel like doing this twice.....yet I'm doing it twice.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't mind the scratches, that was me being lazy with a prybar once I realized I had a nice SFI paperweight. I haven't even run the truck past 4k, nor given it past half throttle. I'm still in disbelief as to this carnage, the rear main seal is fine, leads me to believe the bearings/crank are fine, no noticable shake other than the flexplate sound I've grown pretty quick to recognize...

hell 125k on the stocker didn't look half as bad.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologize, that sucks. First off we will get you a full refund on the plate, no worries there. Please send it back in, want to run some tests on it. Second that is the first I have seen of our newer style break. Could be a fluke deal but I would look into anything out of alignment. What is that in the 3rd pic you posted, is that a converter pilot extended that is broken?

Chris
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Apologize, that sucks. First off we will get you a full refund on the plate, no worries there. Please send it back in, want to run some tests on it. Second that is the first I have seen of our newer style break. Could be a fluke deal but I would look into anything out of alignment. What is that in the 3rd pic you posted, is that a converter pilot extended that is broken?

Chris
yep was in two halves, one on the converter pilot, the other in the crank.

rear main seal is fine so I'm thinking the bearings/crank are good, gonna try a dial indicator when the tci flexplate comes in, converter was new from protorque and went in with the flexplate. Talked to my tranny guy nothing was up with the bushings/bearings/seals on the input of the trans as well.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear about the breakage.

I cannot stress enough, to anyone looking to upgrade from factory, get the TCI and be done with it.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Sorry to hear about the breakage.

I cannot stress enough, to anyone looking to upgrade from factory, get the TCI and be done with it.
fed ex was supposed to drop it off yesterday....now delivery date is pending....

I hate ordering parts during the holidays....nothing ever comes on schedule...
Old 12-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2KLimited
yep was in two halves, one on the converter pilot, the other in the crank.

rear main seal is fine so I'm thinking the bearings/crank are good, gonna try a dial indicator when the tci flexplate comes in, converter was new from protorque and went in with the flexplate. Talked to my tranny guy nothing was up with the bushings/bearings/seals on the input of the trans as well.
Have never seen a broken pilot extender either.... very strange. The TCI usually comes with a steel pilot extender, so you should be covered there.

Chris