Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Replacing Axle Shaft Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Axle Shaft Help

Im replacing a bent drivers side axle myself this will be my first time at doing this and just need the run down on what all i need and need to do i will have

Axle Shaft
Wheel Bearing
Axle Seal
C clip
Diff. Gasket cover
cross bolt pinn

and was told id need 80 90 gear oil?

this is where i need help i assume to remove and install i just do this with truck on jack stands i remove brakes, rotor, diff. cover, cross bolt pin push axle in and remove c clip slide axle out and reverse above to install new one now my questions are how to install wheel bearing on new axle i was told a 2x4 can accomplish it will i need to remove old bearing to get axle out or can it stay on trash axle and how do i fill axle once reasembled i dont even know were fillhole islil own how to get fliud in it and i do need 80 90 its a limi slip peg leg 3.42 no G80 and am i missing anything id rather do this myself so i know howafter wards and pay 250ish for all parts ive been quoted instead of 700 for auto shop to do it any help would be greatly appresiated or links to sights containg pics and detailed instructions ive looked at http://www.ls1howto.com/ i hope thats a sponsord link please dont delete this thread if not il remove that but that sight i didnt find any info
Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

You pretty much got it, its really simple. The bearing is not on the axle its in the rear end. You will need a puller to get it out. AutoZone should have one to rent, To install the new bearing I just use a real big socket and tap it into place, Dont tap on the bearings, but on the case. I use a 40mm socket at work for this.

Is the old bearing making any noise? If not just slap the new axel and a seal in there and avoid the headache. Its not hard to do the bearing but since its your first time it may give you some trouble..
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

thank you for the reply that will be alota help il get that puller and do the bearing just as a learning to do by doing thing lol my bro says the old bearing is not leaking and the profesional estimate i had done i was told the axle is bent on the outside of the axle not inside it or near the diff. so bearing may be good well decide at the time if to pull or not but i prob will just to do it so i know how once agian thank you
Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the axle is really bent the bearing my not let the axle slide through. but It would have to bent pretty good. BTY how did you bent (or twist) a axle?
Old 03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
BTY how did you bent (or twist) a axle?
to make it short hot rodding on ice but dont tell my fiance that was going down I-44 bout 30mph went to pass a car and rear end came wround hit center median those cement walls bout 3 feet high bent the VHO 20 and put a 16 on it and it was wobbling to so took it off and rotor was wobbling took it in to same day auto they said the axle is bent on the very end not inside the axle not bent bad just a minor wobble with the 16

http://www.freewebs.com/smoka2k3/ Link to my sight with the truck on it just like showing off the ugly beast
Old 03-14-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

ouch!.... Did this shop pull the axle? I would really take a good look once you remove the axle and make sure the axle tube is round and not egg shape or off alittle.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

no they didnt pull the axle im hoping its not bent that bad and the axlehousing is ok

where is the fill point to refill the axle with the oil is it close to the drive shaft on the passenger side thats the only bolt i saw that can be removed to fill it with and if so do i just fill it till the oil is level with the hole?