Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Reverse light harness glued??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse light harness glued??

My backup lights on my 2000 sierra 4.8, are not working, so i put in new bulbs, still nothing. Checked to make sure the box/module mounted to the 4l60E was correct by shifting through all gears (checking for backups) and still nothing. Checked continuity in my wiring, all good, checked fuses, all good. So, I get under the truck to check the pinout at the box/module to ensure that I have a proper switched signal for the reverse lights. The plug will not come out of the module, I have the clip pulled back and using small screw drivers to pry in-between the plug and receptacle and i cannot get it to budge. I called my buddy at the GM dealer and he says that GM glues the plug in.. Now, this sounds bogus to me but so I figured i would get a confirmation here if it is true or not?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twentyhurtz
My backup lights on my 2000 sierra 4.8, are not working, so i put in new bulbs, still nothing. Checked to make sure the box/module mounted to the 4l60E was correct by shifting through all gears (checking for backups) and still nothing. Checked continuity in my wiring, all good, checked fuses, all good. So, I get under the truck to check the pinout at the box/module to ensure that I have a proper switched signal for the reverse lights. The plug will not come out of the module, I have the clip pulled back and using small screw drivers to pry in-between the plug and receptacle and i cannot get it to budge. I called my buddy at the GM dealer and he says that GM glues the plug in.. Now, this sounds bogus to me but so I figured i would get a confirmation here if it is true or not?
Yes, a lot of them have been glued into place to keep dirt and moisture out. Get a heat gun and warm it up a bit, should come right off.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine were glued in also. I was able to pull out the smaller connector, but ended up cutting the wires on the bigger one. Didn't think about heating them up!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is as simple as heating the connector with a heat gun then that will be easy, my main concern was using a chemical solvent to break down the adhesive, in turn that would concern me about corrosion and damaging he contacts/conductors. I understand the reasoning to use glue to seal the contacts from the elements, but there is easier methods to insulate as opposed to using a glue.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't use chemicals. You'll dissolve more than just the glue inside the connector.

It's actually not a bad idea to glue those connectors with hot glue. You'd be amazed what sort of nasty stuff they're exposed to, from being submerged in water to road salt.