Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013 | 12:15 AM
Launching!

Cool, never knew about clamping the leaf, definitely going to look into that, thanks.
And this so called 6" flip kit measured out a lot closer to 7" but I'm not complaining!

Makes sense, I'm just surprised I got it dead on, most of the threads I've read ended up with some mad vibrations.
I don't really feel like messing with it anyway, no vibrations so I'm happy.
Old 07-14-2013 | 01:26 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Just remember, clamping your overload like that can change your pinion angle.
The following users liked this post:
ijacosta8 (09-20-2021)
Old 07-15-2013 | 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Just ordered some coilovers and springs! Stoked.
Gonna mock it all up and check fitment and hopefully ride height, before I order anything else...
Knock on wood, fingers crossed, this Frankenstein project works out on a 4x4 with an odd mix of parts...
Old 07-15-2013 | 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Gonna mock it all up and check fitment and hopefully ride height, before I order anything else...
Knock on wood, fingers crossed, this Frankenstein project works out on a 4x4 with an odd mix of parts...
What spring rate did you go with? Im about to pull the trigger at the end of the week and from my limited math skills 700# seems to be correct for rcsb trucks.
Old 07-15-2013 | 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PaulyC
What spring rate did you go with? Im about to pull the trigger at the end of the week and from my limited math skills 700# seems to be correct for rcsb trucks.
Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, I spoke with a few companies on the phone today before ordering, and not one of them were willing to help as soon as I mentioned the vehicle I am working with!? Not even a helpful tip other than I should airbag it. F that.
Sucks, hardly no love for the NBS performance people! Much more so for OBS oddly...

My spring rate calculation skills/experience are pretty limited as well other than for dirt bikes and mountain bikes, but that's hardly relatable...

I ended up going with a 10" coil and 750#/in.

We'll see!

I may have to scrap that and go to a 7" or 8" coil and much higher spring rate (Atomic is running 1300# on a 6" coil!!) if I find that the shock to CV shaft clearance isn't enough and I need the coil spring up higher away...
Old 07-15-2013 | 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

from what i have read on pirate4x4 in their coilover bible any guessing of any measurement will cause your spring rate calculations to be off. being that i am 2wd and and making atomics mounts work for me as a custom mount i think i will be alright.

i wonder why there is no love for the nbs crowd? youd think that they would want our money
Old 07-15-2013 | 11:37 PM
Launching!

Nice!
I want to see this work too.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention, I spoke with a few companies on the phone today before ordering, and not one of them were willing to help as soon as I mentioned the vehicle I am working with!? Not even a helpful tip other than I should airbag it. F that.
Sucks, hardly no love for the NBS performance people! Much more so for OBS oddly...

My spring rate calculation skills/experience are pretty limited as well other than for dirt bikes and mountain bikes, but that's hardly relatable...

I ended up going with a 10" coil and 750#/in.

We'll see!

I may have to scrap that and go to a 7" or 8" coil and much higher spring rate (Atomic is running 1300# on a 6" coil!!) if I find that the shock to CV shaft clearance isn't enough and I need the coil spring up higher away...
Who did you call? It seems simple to me, if you can bag it with out modifying the spring pocket (RideTech's kit at least), then you can use coil overs - case in point.

from what i have read on pirate4x4 in their coilover bible any guessing of any measurement will cause your spring rate calculations to be off. being that i am 2wd and and making atomics mounts work for me as a custom mount i think i will be alright.

i wonder why there is no love for the nbs crowd? youd think that they would want our money
You should be alright, if you are using his top mount then it will change the length measurements for the shock a little bit.
Old 07-16-2013 | 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

One day I will be able to know what it is like to ride around on them...

Still haven't got my truck back. Dropped it off for tubs (after towing it there, too low to drive it) and it got hit in the parking lot later that day.
Old 07-16-2013 | 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Damn that's rough! ^

What LCA's do you have, OE torsion bar? those lower mounts really limit overall travel on lowered trucks...

And Ridetech was one of the companies I called... they were, to my surprise, less than helpful. That is after I told him I don't want to buy Strong arms and an airbag setup... then he just kept saying how there's nothing he can do for me since I have torsion bar LCA's from another manufacturer (DJM) and also 4wd with CV shafts. He said he doesn't recommend a coilover setup...

...but either way in the end I ordered Ridetech HQ coilovers anyway, with the 2" stud upper mounts. I just highly prefer the Mono tube design over twin tube and realy like the upper ball stud mounts over the cheap QA1 ones.
Old 07-16-2013 | 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by texasglock23
One day I will be able to know what it is like to ride around on them...

Still haven't got my truck back. Dropped it off for tubs (after towing it there, too low to drive it) and it got hit in the parking lot later that day.
Ouch **** luck. Hope you can get it back on the road soon! Should be worth it in the end.

And Ridetech was one of the companies I called... they were, to my surprise, less than helpful. That is after I told him I don't want to buy Strong arms and an airbag setup... then he just kept saying how there's nothing he can do for me since I have torsion bar LCA's from another manufacturer (DJM) and also 4wd with CV shafts. He said he doesn't recommend a coilover setup...

...but either way in the end I ordered Ridetech HQ coilovers anyway, with the 2" stud upper mounts. I just highly prefer the Mono tube design over twin tube and realy like the upper ball stud mounts over the cheap QA1 ones.
Ya figured as much, they are proud of the strong arms thats for sure. I was thinking about calling them with a couple questions about spring rates, should be interesting to see what they say when I tell them their already on the truck.

Same reason I went with RT as well, and looking at Atomics QA1's his bearings were shot in only 10 miles!

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800