Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014 | 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Ah yeah gotcha!
I was told by their "techs" they would not sell me anything for my 4wd project as it would "never work". Lol, douchebags.

Once you start getting into too much travel you'll have to have limiter straps and very good and carefully located bump stops, otherwise your front wheel may collide with fender upon compression stroke on a hard enough hit!
Yea that's what I was thinking. 4.1" should be plenty. Especially if the stock shocks have 4.5".

Now to figure out the rear. A nice trailing arm setup should allow room for a wider wheel/tire combo. I spoke with Porterbuilt a while back and they stated that they would probably start working on the newer Chevy trucks once they got everything ironed out with the 50's trucks they are working on now.
Old 02-24-2014 | 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MWood
Yea that's what I was thinking. 4.1" should be plenty. Especially if the stock shocks have 4.5".

Now to figure out the rear. A nice trailing arm setup should allow room for a wider wheel/tire combo. I spoke with Porterbuilt a while back and they stated that they would probably start working on the newer Chevy trucks once they got everything ironed out with the 50's trucks they are working on now.

Wow that would be cool! I'd be really interested to see if they do get into the GMT800 chassis and if so, what they come up with for it.
Years ago I was oh so close to purchasing a step side 67 small window c10 (guy sold it out from under my nose to someone who randomly showed up that same day to his place, thinking it was me!?) and I was all set to get their dropmember for it...
I still have a set of CPP sway bars for that truck sitting upstairs in my barn, lol.
Old 02-24-2014 | 08:46 PM
Teching In

Yea, I've got my eye out for the touring DM they have for my '86. Just need them to come up with a coilover setup for the rear. Plus I have too many projects right now. lol
Old 02-24-2014 | 09:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Once you start getting into too much travel you'll have to have limiter straps and very good and carefully located bump stops, otherwise your front wheel may collide with fender upon compression stroke on a hard enough hit!
You bring up a good point that I didn't think about, would have to borrow from the lifted long travel kits or something.

Originally Posted by Atomic
My 4wd coilover setup works great fwiw
And for any 2wd guys that don't like the stud mounted in the stock location, could use your upper mounts correct?

Originally Posted by MWood

This would be pretty sweet.
Old 02-24-2014 | 09:37 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yep, or just the straight procomp shock adapters. My brackets are to reinforce the top if you feel uncomfortable putting all the weight on the shock hoop.
Old 02-24-2014 | 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

for those of you who done this swap would you say it rides like stock? better? close to it?
Old 02-24-2014 | 09:40 PM
I have a gauge for that

Mine rides better than stock. The front anyway.
Old 02-24-2014 | 09:48 PM
Launching!

Its been so long since mine was stock but I would have to say it's not worse than stock in the front.

Also I removed my tonneau cover for when my motor comes in, and the ride went to crap in the rear, which lets me know I really need to do something about the rear.
Old 02-24-2014 | 10:20 PM
Teching In

Beeblebrox,

I meant to thank you for sharing all of your hard work and the specs on the parts that you used. There is a company out there that "designed" a kit and will not share specs as you did. My hats off to you.
Old 02-24-2014 | 10:28 PM
Launching!

No problem, thats the reason I did this.

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800