Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013 | 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Gotcha, thanks for the info. $25 upgrade is way better than $75.

And I'm gonna have to jack up my truck this weekend and take a better look at side to side clearance between my current QA1 shock and the CV shaft. Just can't fit under there to look @ ride height.
I know it'll be damn close!

Also pondering how I might reinforce my DJM LCA mount to help support weight...

So, with the longer 10" spring you got, are you still happy with 800#??
Old 07-11-2013 | 11:29 PM
Launching!

I'm definitely happy with them but not content, a good starting point but without access to scales it's still a guessing game.

Once I free up some funds I will experiment with different rates, according to the calculators I've used and an ave. weight for an ext cab I should be in the high 600's.
Old 07-12-2013 | 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBeeblebrox
I'm definitely happy with them but not content, a good starting point but without access to scales it's still a guessing game.

Once I free up some funds I will experiment with different rates, according to the calculators I've used and an ave. weight for an ext cab I should be in the high 600's.
Huh, so you're feeling the ride is too harsh?

And just curious, have you measured the length of LCA from center of pivot plane out to ball joint? And also distance out to lower shock mount?
In order to get leverage ratio...
And also shock angle?

I haven't done this yet... but wondering if the placement/ geometry of my DJM LCA is same as your 2wd OE LCA or what?

PS, if you wanna sell your coils lemme know! I'd be looking for some of those, thinking they might be good with my extra 4x4 weight up front... then you can try softer ones.
Old 07-12-2013 | 12:49 AM
Launching!

In certain situations it can be on the harsher side but overall it's not that bad, it's also these roads around here, absolutely terrible. (it helps that adjusting the shock makes a noticeable difference)
I should probably add that it's firm but not unbearably so, and for the roads around here to help soak up the bumps and ruts I think softer would be better.

Yes it was 10" to the shock and 15" to the ball joint, I guessed on the shock angle between 85-90, but I just downloaded an angle finder app on my phone so I can get a more accurate reading (and for my pinion angle too)

So if I have time tomorrow at work I can put it up on the alignment rack and get some better readings, instead of trying to crawl under it on the ground.

I'd be curious to see what the difference between the LCA's are too.

If only my Alfa was road ready! I dd my truck so I can't be down for long, in a month or so I should be rolling in the Verde as my dd so I can focus on my truck more.

Last edited by TheBeeblebrox; 07-12-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: yes
Old 07-12-2013 | 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

In certain situations it can be on the harsher side but overall it's not that bad, it's also these roads around here, absolutely terrible. (it helps that adjusting the shock makes a noticeable difference)
I should probably add that it's firm but not unbearably so, and for the roads around here to help soak up the bumps and ruts I think softer would be better.

Yes it was 10" to the shock and 15" to the ball joint, I guessed on the shock angle between 85-90, but I just downloaded an angle finder app on my phone so I can get a more accurate reading (and for my pinion angle too)

So if I have time tomorrow at work I can put it up on the alignment rack and get some better readings, instead of trying to crawl under it on the ground.

I'd be curious to see what the difference between the LCA's are too.

If only my Alfa was road ready! I dd my truck so I can't be down for long, in a month or so I should be rolling in the Verde as my dd so I can focus on my truck more.
Cool, well I'm searching for a stiff and responsive ride!
I know my truck is no sports car, but it'll never be a Cadillac either... but I think I'd rather have the option to maybe try out some local solo or autocross rather than feel like riding a couch... this truck isn't my DD anyway.

And damn, I think my shocks are probably closer to an 80ish degree angle than a 90, that's for sure.

Oh, and what is your center of axle to fender lip measurement up front?
Old 07-12-2013 | 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ShredSled
Cool, well I'm searching for a stiff and responsive ride!
I know my truck is no sports car, but it'll never be a Cadillac either... but I think I'd rather have the option to maybe try out some local solo or autocross rather than feel like riding a couch... this truck isn't my DD anyway.

And damn, I think my shocks are probably closer to an 80ish degree angle than a 90, that's for sure.

Oh, and what is your center of axle to fender lip measurement up front?
Ya thats pretty much my long-term goal, to be able to go to the local road course and ****-off some miata's haha.

But something in my gut tells me to go to a softer spring first, I could be totally wrong but sometimes you gotta do things the hard way.

Thats what I was going on during my initial research and it 'seemed right' until I actually looked them and thought no way its a 90, could possibly even be in the 70's, tomorrow I should know for sure.

I measure at 15" center to lip - 15 1/2" on the pass side, good ol' chevy lean!
Old 07-12-2013 | 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ya thats pretty much my long-term goal, to be able to go to the local road course and ****-off some miata's haha.

But something in my gut tells me to go to a softer spring first, I could be totally wrong but sometimes you gotta do things the hard way.

Thats what I was going on during my initial research and it 'seemed right' until I actually looked them and thought no way its a 90, could possibly even be in the 70's, tomorrow I should know for sure.

I measure at 15" center to lip - 15 1/2" on the pass side, good ol' chevy lean!
Well that's the beauty of coilovers!! Just lower your passenger side spring a turn or so with the spanner! No more lean.
That's what I was able to do with my torsion bar keys, so I'm nearly opposite of you. I'm about 15.25" on drivers side to compensate for my weight and full tank of gas, then 15" even on passenger side.
Old 07-12-2013 | 10:10 PM
Launching!

Funny thing is thats with 2 turns down on the pass side!
I got my spanner wrench in so it should be easier to dial it in, probably have to go down another turn or two and it should be perfect.

Although part of it is I still have the lean out back, almost 1" difference.
Old 07-13-2013 | 09:23 PM
Launching!

Ok so I had some time at work today and got her up in the air for some angle finding.

Spring angle measured out to 80 degrees.

I punched in the numbers again and it calculated my spring rate to 692.88#'s (guessed weight and unsprung weight) this was also at 1.5 Hz, if I bump the Hz up to 1.6 it's just shy of 800#'s, so its probably not as big a difference as I thought. (at 2 Hz its 1231#'s)

On another note, I measured out my pinion angle, happens to be 0 degrees, never had any vibrations after the flip kit so I never bothered with shims (I did the carrier bearing relocation), just thought that was interesting, as I read that most guys need shims afterwards. (although I also read that you can get a slightly better launch with a negative pinion or something along those lines?)
Old 07-13-2013 | 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

If you have lean out back you can always clamp the overload to the rest of the leaf pack and drop 1/4-1/2". Can also help prevent axle wrap to a certain extent.

And cool, I'll have to compare my angles, but pretty close to my eyeball guess.

I ended up aiming my pinion angle down quite a bit. Again, with axle wrap on our leafsprings the pinion will want to raise up under heavy accel.

Quick Reply: Ridetech Coil-overs Installed gmt-800