Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

RIP 4l60e... I think.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP 4l60e... I think.

So... I was driving normal and I did the usual 1-2 shift... now it shifts pretty hard at wot but i was shifted at around 2k rpms. It gave its regular hard/crisp shift and than bam... i could free rev it in drive and every other gear and coasted down the hill to a safe spot to pull off.

When I get out i smell a little bit of burning transmission fluid and hear a whining noise. I figured it was a few things. I REALLY hope its not the tranny... i havent saved up enough to do the swap yet. But, when I had it up on the tow truck I tried and figured out if its the rear end or something else. Well it wasnt the rear end but it was leaking at the top of the drive shaft and it wouldnt spin... I know that sunshell has been taking a beating in the 1-2 shift and Ive been needing to get that taken care of but... is it possible that its just a pump on the driveshaft and not anything to do with the transmission?

I'll have it at a shop tomorrow and i'll see whats up.. but I just want to be able to sleep tonite

Any input would be great, thx. I just dont really kno what happens when someone blows the tranny... I think i have all the symptomps of a dead 4l60e tho.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah buddy I think you fried it. I just did the same thing last week and my truck is still in the shop. It was the tranny and it cost me 1,500.00. So I know all about that
Old 08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

What happened exactly? busted the sunshell or fried all the bands... for 1500 im guessing that was a complete rebuild.. which im hoping that isnt the case.. but tranny mods were right around the corner any way, so maybe this is all a good thing.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pump or converter, but pretty sure it's the pump. V8 had the same thing happen to him alittle while ago...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you have it slamming 2nd with a billet servo?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Did you have it slamming 2nd with a billet servo?
No, actually havent got the chance to do that yet. I will now that something happened to it. AAMCO has the truck now.. we'll see what they have to say by this afternoon... im keeping my fingers crossed that its not needing a total rebuild, but with me luck

Does anyone know how much i could get a low mileage 4l65e for?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You currently have a shift kit with no servo upgrade?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm. say good by to that one..
to be honest....
If you really want some peace of mind, you need to anti up, and get it totally rebuilt.
with every upgradable part you can get for it..
otherwise you will be right back to to where your at now...

and, I would soften up those shifts considreably..
you only need a firm crisp shift, and not a head snapping shift..
this will prolong your transmission untill you can really do something with it..

trust me ...I have done it all with these 60E, and 65E transmissions............................
Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Fried all the bands, and yea it was a total rebuild, I told him to put some good s*** in there so hopefully it will hold up to some more power increases. I get it back this friday its been almost two weeks, im getting anxious i want it back NOWWWWWWW. Ill let you know how it all worked out once i get it back.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

yep.. just got done talking to the guys. Thanks thunder for the input, I know what i have to do, might as well do it right this time and not have to mess with it for a while.

Im going with the beast, upgraded vette servo, re-tuneing for that and softening the shifts. I knew that after i installed the shift kit that i had to bulk up some of the other componets of the transmission... i just never had the time to go and do it myself or get it done. Between work and school starting, i would really like to do this rebuild myself, but i just dont have the time so im leaving it to an expert to get it done.

For a complete rebuild... and this tranny now being considered a "performance" 4l60e, they are charging me between $$1700-1900... i wish i really had the time to do it myself or i know i would come out $500-$800 cheaper... but I have to do what i have to do, thx for all the input

Quick Reply: RIP 4l60e... I think.