Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Roll Cage/Bar squeak....help make it go away

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage/Bar squeak....help make it go away

I have a through cab floor solid frame welded/mounted 4 point roll cage/bar set up. It has a rear crossbar in the middle for the structural support and the harness attach points. It is not bolted together at all, its a custom fab job from about 1.75" tubing. The whole damn thing has started squeaking and squealing when I hit bumps or uneven spots while driving at any speed. Loud and extremely annoying. I am pretty sure the cab is not rubbing it anywhere. I dont know if a weld has cracked or what but any advice would be very helpful.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have pics of this setup?

check all the joints and where it goes to the fram for contact on anything.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there's got to be a shinny spot where something is rubbing together. If you lived in new york state it would show up as a rusty spot sooner or later!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill put it on a lift and look real close for shiny spots. Im hoping a joint hasnt cracked.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont have any pics at all. Will soon though
Old 06-30-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I finally got around to clearancing the bars from any metal at all of the cab floor or any other potential rubbing point. The damn thing still squeaks and now that I have a/c my windows arent down to drown it out some. I have no idea what to do at the moment. Anyone have any ideas on how to maybe drill a couple of holes and pump in some kind of rubber or foam to help deaden the squeak from inside the bars? Kinda at a loss aside from cutting the damn thing out.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Who installed it? Have a friend drive it and you try to pin point the location.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check cab to frame cushions. might be getting old and letting it flex more. check all welds. nothing else i can think of.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd bring it back to whoever installed it and ask them to go through it.
Pics would be great, I was just talking with a coworker about a roll bar/cage in a truck.
Definately interested in some pics, especially of the frame mounting points and threw the cab pics to.
Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks to all of ya. I really spent some time looking at it and it really seems to be flexing all over and just squeaking throughout the whole structure especially the rear hoop. I grabbed the bar in several spots while driving it and a lot if it is coming from the drivers side but it also groans when I pull real hard on the top of the rear hoop. I think the four point is just not stiff enough to prevent this. I think that if I could get some more bracing done or get some type of insulator inside the bars it would greatly minimize the noise but as of now that is not looking to promising. All the welds are solid and couldnt find any rub spots anywhere that seemed to be the culprit. I thought about poly cab mounts to help stop cab sway but not sure as of now if that would make any difference. I am going to try and get some decent pics soon of the whole setup.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage/Bar squeak....help make it go away