Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Roll cage IDEA, opinions WANTED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

conventional style!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
These flanges can apparently be used on ANY part of the cage that needs to be removed. These things aren't supposed to compromise any structural integrity.

But... If you guys know something i don't please let me know.
pretty sure thats not legal for a rollbar setup to be removable like that. I'd definently look into it a bunch more before you get failed at the track...
Old 12-24-2007, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Yep, i am trying to get as much advise as possible!
Im not building anything until im certain that it will pass.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Official NHRA roll cage specs....

On the NHRA website they have contacts for your region, you might want to email them with your idea and ask. BTW the main hoop and rear bars have to be tied to the frame... How faster are you planning on going? I think they only require on for < 11.5...

I just looked on line at some rules for NHRA approved cage designs an the main hoop, cross over bar and rear bars must all be welded together as one unit, however the entire unit can be bolted in.... So in your case no the removable bars will fail tech... Door bars are the only thing that can be removeable..
Old 12-24-2007, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

im planning on running mid 10's
Old 12-24-2007, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

Well, DAMN
I might still do it, @ tracks around here if you have bars coming out the back your good!

IDK, ill still email them because there policy's change every season. These flanges may have just been introduced.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Resident Retard

Here is a little bit of info for you, btw if you go <9.99 you have to have a NHRA license... And <9.99 requires a full cage not just the 6 point... I did alot of research on this a little while ago while I was building the chasis on my mustang...

License
Virtually anyone can compete in drag racing. Drivers are required to have Valid State Drivers License and must be capable of the safe operation of their vehicle. Vehicles running a 9.99 ET require an NHRA Competion License

Auto Trans Reverse Lockout
Any non-OME automatic floor-mounted transmission shifter must be equipped with a spring-loaded positive reverse lockout device to prevent the shifter from accidentally being put in reverse gear.

Roll Bars
Unless otherwise required by your class: Roll Bars required on convertibles running quicker than 11.00 - 13.99. Roll Bars required on all cars running quicker than 11.00 - 11.49.

Roll Cages
Roll Cages required on convertibles running 10.99 or faster than 135mph. Roll Cages required on all cars running 10.99 or faster than 135mph. - One exception: full bodied cars running between 10.00 and 10.99, with unaltered firewalls, floor and body (from firewall rearward - wheel tubes permitted) can compete with just a roll bar.Faster than a 9.99 you need a chassis sticker and have the car reinserted every 3 years.

Helmets
Drivers of all 13.99 or quicker cars, and co-drivers in 14.00 to 14.99 second cars, must wear a helmet meeting Snell 2000 or Newer, or SFI 31.1,31.2 specs.

Nitrous Oxide
The use of any agents other than NOS as part of, or mixed with, this pressurized fuel system is strictly prohibited. All bottles must be securely mounted, stamped with minimum DOT 1800 pound rating, and identified as nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide bottle(s) located in the driver compartment must be equipped with a relief valve and vented outside the compartment. System must be commercially available, and installed as per manufacture's recommendations. Commercially available thermostatically controlled blanket-type warmer accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited.

Liquid Overflow
All cars must have a recovery system or catch can for the car's radiator.

Drive-shaft loop
If you have slicks, you must have a drive-shaft loop, if your car runs 13.99 or quicker.

Battery Relocation
If the battery is not in the stock location, and relocated to the trunk for example, you must have an external cut-off switch on the back of the car which cuts off the electrical system and must also stop the car from running.

Seat Belts
All cars running 14.00 sec and slower must be equipped with an accepted quick release type driver seat belt. All cars in competition requiring a roll bar or roll cage, or as outlined by Class Requirements, require a Driver Restraint System as outlined below.

Driver Restraint Systems
A quick-release, 3-inch shoulder harness meeting SFI Spec 16.1, including crotch strap, is mandatory in all cars in competition required by the rules to have a roll bar or a roll cage. Driver restraint system must be clearly labeled as meeting SFI Spec 16.1 and be dated by manufacturer. System must be updated at two-year intervals from date of manufacture. All seat belt and shoulder harness installations must be mutually compatible, originally designed to be used with each other, and produced by the same manufacturer. Cars using OEM or OEM type seat may route crotch strap in front of seat instead of through seat. Only those units that release all five attachment points in one motion are permitted. When arm restraints are worn with a restraint system that utilizes a "latch lever", a protective cover must be installed to prevent arm restraint from accidentally releasing the latch lever. Protective cover not needed if system uses "duckbill" latch hardware. All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting, and installed to limit driver's body travel both upward and forward. Seat belts may not be wrapped around lower frame rails. Under no circumstances are bolts inserted through belt webbing permitted for mounting. Check manufacturers instructions.

Tail Light - You Must Have A Working Tail Light!

Wheels & Tires
All wheels must have ALL lug nuts in place and securely fastened. All street tires must have minimum 1/16 inch tread depth.

Motorcycles

Helmet
Must wear a SNELL Approved 2000 or Newer helmet.

Clothing
Leather Jacket, Gloves and Boots. Your pants must go over your ankles. If your bike runs 120 MPH or faster in the 1/4 mile you need "Full Leathers".

Tail Light
You must have a working tail light.

Competion License
If your bike runs 9.99 or quicker in the 1/4 mile, you need an NHRA Competion License

This is presented as general information only and you should always refer to the "Current Official NHRA Rule Book" before heading out to race.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
IDK, ill still email them because there policy's change every season. These flanges may have just been introduced.
the removeable door bars was only approved 2 years ago....

I had similar thoughts when I was researching my mustang chasis, and it was explained to me "You can build it however you want, it is not for looks it is for you safety, that is why the rules are there...." Its a bit harsh but the truth... You should read some of the rules for a road course car....
Old 12-24-2007, 09:48 PM
FormerVendor

Yep I agree, Safety first!
But hey if they do not harm structural integrity Im all for them!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

BTW, i think this is the only thread with 19 views/ replies lol!

Quick Reply: Roll cage IDEA, opinions WANTED!