Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rollerized 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a significant reduction in friction by rollerizing it or HP needed to turn the 80e?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Yup maybe we can work a trade... I have a 2wd unit.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would only use the factory Borg warner Hi energy clutches myself.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I would only use the factory Borg warner Hi energy clutches myself.
Why is that? I have had good luck with red alto. Seems some people like the kolene steels and some dont. some like to use raybestos blue plates, and some like the hi energy clutches. It seems there are several different schools of thought here but nobody really seems to elaborate.

1FastBrick im sure we can work a trade no problem so long as your 2wd unit has bolt in yoke. Im not in any huge hurry to tear into this thing until i feel like i have all my ducks in a row. Especially with the holidays right around the corner. I can dissasemble it earlier than planned if your in a hurry.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

The Alto reds are only slightly better than an old school tan friction. Any heat or slippage immediately kills both.
The Hi Energy material lives better than anything I've seen.

The OEMs spent a lot of money to come up with a clutch that would live in problem areas, specifically the 4L60E 3-4 pack. Use their R&D and forget the marketing BS.

Last edited by Vince B; 12-12-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
The Alto reds are only slightly better than an old school tan friction. Any heat or slippage immediately kills both.
The Hi Energy material lives better than anything I've seen.

The OEMs spent a lot of money to come up with a clutch that would live in problem areas, specifically the 4L60E 3-4 pack. Use their R&D and forget the marketing BS.
Exactley. My research and questioning the pros has led me to only use and reccommend BW Hi energy clutches.

Ive went thru 4 Alto red 3-4 clutche paks in my 60e's and a set of alto C3's in my Allison. No more red junk for me.

My 80e rebuilt with new Factory Hi energy clutches doesnt miss a beat!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

They are factory clutches? They are green in color right? So basically get a factory rebuild kit set your clutch pack clearances and a trango hd2 rollerize the trans and call it a day?
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

I don't use the HD2 either.

Its a good kit if you aren't doing a rebuild but there are better options when you get into the internals.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by Leecostruck
They are factory clutches? They are green in color right? So basically get a factory rebuild kit set your clutch pack clearances and a trango hd2 rollerize the trans and call it a day?
Yes, thats pretty much it. The 80e with a shift kit easily will handle 800+ rwhp.

I forget what color the clutches were, but yes Like Jake and others have said the factory BW hi energy clutches are the way to go. I can only tell you what works great for me, i hate to see people waste money on certain aftermarket items.

An upgraded sprag is a good idea also depending on the year of your core build.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well im still studying about the workings of a shift kit and what a need to do to the pump. I know the hd2 kit is supposed to dual feed one of the clutches on the 80e but not exactly sure how it firms the shifts other than feeding more fluid faster and at higher pressure? I guess for someone like myself it is a quick way of getting firm shifts without so much guess work. If i had access to a hydraulic diagram and power flow chart as well as experience with common failures of the 4l80e i could figure something out. I guess my goal here is to have a somewhat reliable transmission that will handle big block torque in a 84 c-10. Engine dynoed at 790hp on a 250 kit, not quite the 800hp goal but good enough to destroy the sts charged srt 10 quad cab in my town but i tend to run out of gear and get the classic "ricer flyby" treatment. This transmission is hopefully the answer. I can beat him on motor almost but supposedly more boost is in the works.

I have heard of people building their own shift kits and what not but i neither have the knoledge or the time to figure it out especially with the trial and error part. I am somewhat familiar with rebuilding automatic transmissions but not proficient by any means. I have been into a few 6r80's and 6t50's before as they are the same as the gm 6l80 and 6t50 for the most part i believe. For me choosing a career with Ford has been the path that provided the most opportunity eventhough im GM at heart. In my shop I dont get the opportunity to rebuild or repair any transmission related concerns as my diesel certification provides too much work for me to have the time to learn even with my automatic trans certs. That being said the more studying i do on here the more i see how much i really dont know about automatic transmissions. i have several friends who can lend tools and advice but they are Ford guys so i am on my own with 4l80e. All of this advice is greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: rollerized 4l80e