Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

rookie tranny build up (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rookie tranny build up (long)

what i learned to install the hd-2 and srvo kit.
take every t-shirt in ur closet, wifes, and kid closet to use as rags... u will need it. then buy 50 dollars in hand cleaner.. without pumice cause it hurts ur face...next, take 3 quarts of tranny fluid and just go ahead and pour all over the garage floor, lay down and make snow angels... just get it over with... while ur at it go ahead and throw all ur tools and directions in the lake of tranny fluid...
next, drop the tranny pan, be aware tho... as u push up on the front of the tranny pan to stop it from pouring in urs face, fluid will come out the back of the pan and run down ur arm till it finally collects in ur arm pit. now that u realized the the linkage bracket wont let u lower the pan go look for the torx that u don't own.... so go to lowes get ur set, go to check out... then realize u gave the card to ur wife so she could pay for pizza... go back home, get card and repeat..
once u have the pan down and u stare at the r2d2 looking thing that remains... don't worry... the fun is starting... the servo kit goes in great,, just follow the directions everyone has posted on here.... it really builds ur confidence and makes u feel everything is ok.remove valve body and follow the transgo directions (also known as Gil Shiftley)... slide valve out, be sure to close to mouth as tranny fluid squirts u in the face... make sure u learn this part, because it happens 6 more times....
during reassembly of the springs be sure to lube them up before reinstall, u can just wipe them on ur face or skin (there is more than enough fluid to lube them) drill seperator plate!!!! woohoo!!! with me being in construction... i dig the drill part... goes great.. clean burrs off seperator plate.. lay down in the "red lake" and reinstall.. carefull with the valve body.. the linkage on the manual valve is tricky.... go to pep boy by tranny fluid... get home drink beer... pour tranny fluid in truck... be sure to look for leaks and any extra bolts.... fire truck up check fluid level. put in gear notice it doesnt move... recheck level... yell at wife when she asks how everything is going. go apologize.... and hope u get it running (cause she thought it was a bad idea to begin with) get on forum and start freakin out and pm people... get the answer that manual valve is probally the problem (remeber above the tricky linkage part.....) drop pan.... but remeber the fluid is hot this time so when u push up on the front to make it stop from burnin ur face,, the fluid will be just as hot runnin down ur arm as it sloshes out the back. realize it is the linkage.... drop valve body and hook up linkage correctly... reinstall pan... go get more tranny fluid... repeat steps above... fire up and go for a test run....
drink more beer..... u deserve it
all in all the second time was alot faster...
thanks for all ya'lls help...

venting done!!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just got home from work and got your PM. i was thinking "oh ****. what happened?" then i read this, you make a pain in the *** sound humorus at least. glad you got it running, how does it feel? (both getting it done and how it shifts)
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=434427

heres a link to the destruction on my stock tranny. the guy i sold it to tore it apart and posted what i broke
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would do another now... first to second is a lil stout... when i hammer down tho... i have a squeal (sounds like a belt slippin but i can't tell cause it happens for a split second...) but shifts strong....
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

is it tires slipping? check your trany fluid again, just to make sure you have enough in there
Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Classic, especially the part about the torx bit, tranny fluid in your armpit, etc.... In my case I did not tighten down the Oklahoma plate (reverse something) so my truck would not do reverse very well..

I will never do another one, i will pay for it... Your right, might as well just pour several bottles of fluid over your head to start with to get that part out of the way...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 454navyss
is it tires slipping? check your trany fluid again, just to make sure you have enough in there
i dont think its the tires... drove to work today... so far no leaks... but will check it when i get home...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by forbes
i would do another now... first to second is a lil stout... when i hammer down tho... i have a squeal (sounds like a belt slippin but i can't tell cause it happens for a split second...) but shifts strong....
From what i remember reading the belt slipping is normal after a shift kit install... How are your Part throttle shifts?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this was entertaining. thanks.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

part throttle is a lil to firm for me... maybe it's just me not being use to it.. i am hoping justin can lower the line pressure and help soften it up... but im not sure if that is possible....
next i have to get a stall built.... and do the rearend...
that will buy me time to figure out what im gonna do for power.. i am leaning towards the magnacharger..... but i miss the good old lope of a cam under me.... i'm just spending my time reading and comparing.... hangin out with guys at the gtg's and seeing what they have....

Quick Reply: rookie tranny build up (long)