Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Severe rear brake pulsation

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 12:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy4.8
Ok, explain. If I am not mistaken, wolf you work at a dealer, right? well I do also, and I am just wondering if you would mind explaining the clip deal. I can see where the clip could cause a little distortion between wheel and drum, but why would it only affect aftermarket wheels??? Just curious
I think GM wheels are machined with a relief for it and aftermarket ones are not.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:45 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Grumpy4.8
Ok, explain. If I am not mistaken, wolf you work at a dealer, right? well I do also, and I am just wondering if you would mind explaining the clip deal. I can see where the clip could cause a little distortion between wheel and drum, but why would it only affect aftermarket wheels??? Just curious
yup I work at a dealer...and yes GM wheels have a relief so to speak made into them so the clips dont affect them...aftermarket wheels are flush.......and BTW I am not the one who initially posted here, our brake/suspension guy posted under my name but I can vouch for this as I have seen this numerous times its just not my area of specialty
Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I havent run into that, something to keep in mind though.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Nice to know...sweet deal! I pulled my drums a few days ago and soaked them with brake cleaner and emery clothed the pads...but they still squeak how do i fix this!?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadwolf54
yup I work at a dealer...and yes GM wheels have a relief so to speak made into them so the clips dont affect them...aftermarket wheels are flush.......and BTW I am not the one who initially posted here, our brake/suspension guy posted under my name but I can vouch for this as I have seen this numerous times its just not my area of specialty
ive seen this alot, had several people come in with this..one guy i knew took his to the dealer ship first said it was his drive shaft..so they put a new one in and didnt do anything..they put hose clamps on the driveshaft sayin that helped it..that just madehis driveshaft come apart at hiways speeds and they fixed that and pulled his rear end apart..they didnt put it back together right and it howled really bad...and he brought it to us and we took the clips off and it never had the vibration again but still howled...every set of wheels we ever put on we took those off
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Looks like ill be pulling mine off...makes sense to me though dont want and obstruction between them...maybe this is my vibration at 60+ the dealer couldnt figure out I know what im doing tommorrow night!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCustoms
Nice to know...sweet deal! I pulled my drums a few days ago and soaked them with brake cleaner and emery clothed the pads...but they still squeak how do i fix this!?
Did you lube between the shoes (not the friction surface but the metal part that the lining is bonded and/or riveted to) and where they contact the backing plate, as well as using the emery cloth on the drums? That would be my next step.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Launching!

I used the cloth on the drums yeah, I didnt lube between the shoes what do i use? I just need a step by step picture manual for this lol
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

uh od budhayes whered you go your usually a help? lol
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerCustoms
uh od budhayes whered you go your usually a help? lol
LOL, been buzy...we're not allowed to play around on the computers at work anymore and it's my little girl's first birthday this weekend, finally have a few minutes to hop on the puter now.

They make some specific lubes for brakes, but in a pinch, either anti-sieze or white lube (the thicker stuff in the can, not the thin spray), will work. If you have the shoes totally off, you can use your finger to spread the lube on the contact points, or if you just remove the shoe retaining springs (the ones with the pins that look like mini valve springs), you can pull the shoe forward and sneak an acid brush in between the shoe and backing plate. Don't panic if you get any lube on the shoe, just grab some more emory cloth and sand it off when you're all done

Quick Reply: Severe rear brake pulsation