Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shift Kit + 4.10s + Stock converter = Hard 1-2 shift, need options

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Shift Kit + 4.10s + Stock converter = Hard 1-2 shift, need options

My part throttle 1-2 shift seems rather harsh after the shift kit install. I have my pressures set back to stock, so that is not the problem. I am thinking my 4.10s + stock coverter + Corvette Servo + stock 16's are making it rather hard. I did not use any spacers in the accumulator thing, but I used 2 spacers between the servos for the band adjustment....

I am thinking of lowering my 1-2 base pressures ~5% to help.... I have not done any WOT runs cause the gears are still breaking in....

Anyone else have this issue or think lowering the base pressure a little bit will work??
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...or you might think about stepping up to a higher stalled TC. Is it harsh across the whole band or just the lower rpm?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by trever1t
Yes...or you might think about stepping up to a higher stalled TC.
I agree, while I don't know the scientifics behind it, I've heard that a looser torque converter softens shifts. I would assume that since the converter is physically smaller, it doesn't deliver as much transfluid so line pressures aren't as high as with a stock converter. That's probably dead wrong though, LOL.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by trever1t
Yes...or you might think about stepping up to a higher stalled TC. Is it harsh across the whole band or just the lower rpm?
I have plans for stepping up to a 3000 TC, but I can't manage it right now without breaking out a Credit card, I have to buy tires (btw they are basically bald). Honestly I have only been able to drive it at low rpm levels due to the new gears. But at really light throttle it skips the tires a little bit.

Sp you think lowering the pressures a little bit is ok? I have read that I need to log the pressures and lower them until the shift is quick but not harsh...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Try to install the factory 1-2 accumulator piston springs until you get your new converter. With a stock converter the shifts can be felt more. Vince
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

take out one spacer on the servo, your band might be too tight . . . did you check for tolerance, or can you spin the yoke by hand ?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Try to install the factory 1-2 accumulator piston springs until you get your new converter. With a stock converter the shifts can be felt more. Vince
I would but honestly I don't remember what the factory one looked like.... I really don't want to drop the pan again... Could you describe it for me?

Originally Posted by Tootall
take out one spacer on the servo, your band might be too tight . . . did you check for tolerance, or can you spin the yoke by hand ?
We just spun the driveshaft to make sure it could be turned like the instructions said. I will try removing one of the spacers before I lower the pressures any.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Tootall
yes, we checked the 1/8" play on the band. it was a lot looser than mine when I put in 2 spacers I could not move the band or the drive shaft. I put one in and is was movable and had play. i also used one shim/spacer in the 1-2 accum. i like my 1-2 shift. it is hard when you want it to be.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fastrt
yes, we checked the 1/8" play on the band. it was a lot looser than mine when I put in 2 spacers I could not move the band or the drive shaft. I put one in and is was movable and had play. i also used one shim/spacer in the 1-2 accum. i like my 1-2 shift. it is hard when you want it to be.
ok, then its in your tuning then. . . I have stock pressure in my table, but I'm even lower for the bottom end. It makes the daily driving more easier. But it's still alive in the middle, mid and upper RPMs
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Resident Retard

I got it all worked out, I adjusted the tune and it works great now. Still don't know what WOT shift feels like, I still got alot of miles to go on the gears. I lowered the TM tables and that seemed to take care of it.

Quick Reply: Shift Kit + 4.10s + Stock converter = Hard 1-2 shift, need options