Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shift kit install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 12:16 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shift kit install ?'s

I have the Vette servo, what else do I need to remove all TQ management and not kill the trany? Also how many washers? etc do ya'll recomend for firm, but not harsh part throttle shifts? I will be adding a 2800 stall later, and getting my PCM re-programed for the shift kit asap. Thanks for the recomendations. BTW I've heard I need the billit seperator plate etc. And also heard to use no washers?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
I have the Vette servo, what else do I need to remove all TQ management and not kill the trany? Also how many washers? etc do ya'll recomend for firm, but not harsh part throttle shifts? I will be adding a 2800 stall later, and getting my PCM re-programed for the shift kit asap. Thanks for the recomendations. BTW I've heard I need the billit seperator plate etc. And also heard to use no washers?
I went with the vette servo along with the Transgo HD2 kit. Of course, I had Chuck @ FLT do everything along with other hard parts. When I got it, 1-2 shift was too firm and I went back to no washers and it is still firm enough to chirp but doesn't bang gears under partial throttle like it did.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Comeon, someone knows something.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Follow all the directions to the letter. If you dont like harsh shifts leave all washers in the box. No 1/2 accumulator or servo washers.I have my holes bigger than the directions say and a washer in the 1/2 acc. and my 1/2 shift is to firm for MOST people. Your planned stall will soften your shift some , but for goodness sake go 3000. Just my .02
Old 08-09-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'd say no washers, and leave the holes in the separator plate on the smaller setting.

If you got a bigger stall, then still no washers, and use the larger hole setting on the separator plate.

It's a fine line to finding out what you want, and unfortunately, it requires tearing into the transmission again to change settings. Luckily, the 2nd time around is so much quicker.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unredeemed
I'd say no washers, and leave the holes in the separator plate on the smaller setting.

If you got a bigger stall, then still no washers, and use the larger hole setting on the separator plate.
I second that and i left the 1-2 accum stock (aside from replacing the plastic piston with a metal one).

Andrew
Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

After my experience I ended up with replacing the pistons with metal and I left the transgo boost vavle in. The shifts are firmer than stock. Not quite as firm as my previous programing had them, but I do feel the shifts.

I might try the Corvette servo when the weather cools down. The one I had supposedly had more apply area than a stock vette servo. So I need to figure out if is actually different....

I second the no washers thing.

Late
Old 08-09-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

I left the 1-2 accumulator stock and left out the washers/shims from the servo, as well. Everything was done per instructions and I installed the corvette servo. The only programming I did was remove TM 100%

Shifts firm enough for me. And it's not "too much", as I have not heard any complaints from the fiancé.

It will hit pretty hard in tow/haul mode, though.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBC
After my experience I ended up with replacing the pistons with metal and I left the transgo boost vavle in. The shifts are firmer than stock. Not quite as firm as my previous programing had them, but I do feel the shifts.

I might try the Corvette servo when the weather cools down. The one I had supposedly had more apply area than a stock vette servo. So I need to figure out if is actually different....

I second the no washers thing.

Late
Either you had the vette servo or a billet,if it was a billet that would explain why it was so brutal,the stock 2nd accum is the way to go over the transgo setup,I have the pinless acccum with a stock spring,it really tamed the 1-2 dead thud at 1/4-1/2 throttle.It's made for a much cleaner shift.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the help, where can I get the metal accumulator piston, and do I need it? How bout the seperator plate?

Quick Reply: Shift kit install ?'s