Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shift Times w/Transgo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 06:56 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

you know, threads like this really get me thinking, what do most people expect a performance shift to feel like?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
you know, threads like this really get me thinking, what do most people expect a performance shift to feel like?
Like my 462 C.I.'d shift kitted Turbo 400 GTO used to feel. Crisp shift at low throttle. A good chirp at part throttle, completely sideways at WOT.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Like my 462 C.I.'d shift kitted Turbo 400 GTO used to feel. Crisp shift at low throttle. A good chirp at part throttle, completely sideways at WOT.

LOL, that is EXACTLY how I would have stated it! I was experiencing some of the issues expressed here, but after I removed all tqmgmt (to my knowledge) I couldn't be happier. Not sure if you 4l60 guys have that option but the more I let the transgo do its job the better my shifts felt
Old 09-13-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I'll tell you that they don't expect the 1-2 shift to jerk the vehicle forward when driving at 10 MPH and 10%-30% throttle, which is exactly what mine is doing right now. I've lately found myself backing off the throttle when anticipating the 1-2 shift because it's so unpleasant.

If this was how a 'performance shift kit' was supposed to work, then the 2-3 shift would behave exactly the same way, at the same throttle position. It does not. This is obviously a design flaw, since the 2-3 shift is excellent - crisp, but not rough (like the 1-2 is). If the 1-2 shift was like the 2-3, I'd have no complaints.

Since I've installed the kit, I've found people who agree this is an issue with the Transgo kit. This is one reason zippy goes with the Superior kit and not the Transgo.

Last edited by Mr. Sandog; 09-13-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Well, I'll tell you that they don't expect the 1-2 shift to jerk the vehicle forward when driving at 10 MPH and 10%-30% throttle, which is exactly what mine is doing right now. If this was how a 'performance shift kit' was supposed to work, then the 2-3 shift would behave exactly the same way, at the same throttle position. It does not. This is obviously a design flaw, since the 2-3 shift is excellent - crisp, but not rough (like the 1-2 is). If the 1-2 shift was like the 2-3, I'd have no complaints.

Since I've installed the kit, I've found people who agree this is an issue with the Transgo kit. This is one reason zippy goes with the Superior kit and not the Transgo.
Has anyone removed all tqmgmt and driven around for a day to see how that feels? I would love some feedback on that. I honestly feel that in my case the tqmgmt worked against the shiftkit to some degree, and might be the case for you guys as well.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Has anyone removed all tqmgmt and driven around for a day to see how that feels? I would love some feedback on that. I honestly feel that in my case the tqmgmt worked against the shiftkit to some degree, and might be the case for you guys as well.
I don't know grip, taking out all the TM on a 6,000 lb vehicle with a 4L60E doesn't sound like the right thing to do to me....

Maybe all the engine TM, but as far as taking out all the tranny TM, not sure that's such a great idea.

One more reason to have a 4L80....
Old 09-13-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran mine 0 tm in my old one after the transgo install

I thought the transgo 1-2 was a little too hard also
even with 0 washers vette servo and the 1-2 hole left alone

I would find myself letting off the gas so it wouldnt chirp second at low throttle
the yank tamed it down alot though
Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I don't know grip, taking out all the TM on a 6,000 lb vehicle with a 4L60E doesn't sound like the right thing to do to me....

Maybe all the engine TM, but as far as taking out all the tranny TM, not sure that's such a great idea.
I hear ya, I wasn't exactly comfortable with it either, but I was completely surprised, it shifted easier AND more consistantly. before it would slam into gear sometimes and other times it would be firm, now, it does the same thing all the time and that low speed 10mph tire chirping is gone.

I will not run tqmgmt in the near future, lol, even bone stock, the manner in which it tqmgmt engaged (or felt) was different, sometimes it would feel decent, other times it would feel sloshy, and then other times it felt like a 2 step shift.

I wish a 4l60 guy would try so as to confirm or deny this.....
Old 09-13-2005, 07:30 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53

I would find myself letting off the gas so it wouldnt chirp second at low throttle
the yank tamed it down alot though
do you drill holes in the seperator plate to determine what firmness the 60e shifts at?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gamedawgx53

This is what tells me it is a design flaw....zero TM, and still problems with the 1-2 shift. I don't need to repeat the experiment.

I think the only thing removing all the TM in a heavy, 4L60-equipped truck would do is break the tranny.

Quick Reply: Shift Times w/Transgo?