Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shift Times w/Transgo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kbracing96
What are you guys running for shift times for 1-2 shift with a transgo shift kit. I just got efilive and am thinking of lengthening them in the lower part of the table, as my 1-2 shift at part throttle is a bit firmer then I would like. Thanks.
raising shift times will not fix the problem, the problem lies in too much pressure at part throttle.

I have hpt how I solved it was to modify the 1-2 upshift pressure to around -12 instead of -2 at part throttle and I also modified the base pressure vs tq table. Those two things will take care of the problem do not adjust it through the force motor current table. I dont think leaving shift times in with a kit is a good thing, the kit is trying to raise pressure and shift asap then when you raise the shift time it will hesitate then bang into gear adjust the modifying pressure tables thats what they are there for.

take out all tm and shift timing then adjust pressures, mine shifts like butter with no tm
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
raising shift times will not fix the problem, the problem lies in too much pressure at part throttle.

I have hpt how I solved it was to modify the 1-2 upshift pressure to around -12 instead of -2 at part throttle and I also modified the base pressure vs tq table. Those two things will take care of the problem do not adjust it through the force motor current table. I dont think leaving shift times in with a kit is a good thing, the kit is trying to raise pressure and shift asap then when you raise the shift time it will hesitate then bang into gear adjust the modifying pressure tables thats what they are there for.

take out all tm and shift timing then adjust pressures, mine shifts like butter with no tm

very interesting, thanks for the post, great info
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

That's the info I was looking for. I knew you had posted it before, but I couldn't find it. I will play with the base pressure. could you possibly post all your pressure values vs. tq from HPT for the for the 1-2, so I could compare them to mine and efilive. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
That's the info I was looking for. I knew you had posted it before, but I couldn't find it. I will play with the base pressure. could you possibly post all your pressure values vs. tq from HPT for the for the 1-2, so I could compare them to mine and efilive. Thanks.
when you make all the adjustments be sure and report back
Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with this method. I have shift time a zero across the board and reduced line pressure (values numericaly higher) for the lower torque ranges. I had it shifting perfect with the yank but shifted a little harsh with the stock converter so I went in and decreased the pressure in the lower torque ranges a little more.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

settings I use
Attached Files
File Type: zip
1-2.zip (37.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-14-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

ya i broke my 60e with just the shift kit about a week after i removed all the tm. Broke the input shaft. But now, after i got it rebuilt, not really sure what was done to the 1-2 shift,only thing i know is instead of putting that really tough spring that comes with the transgo kit, i had installed with the rebuild a spring that was still pretty ridgid but it was somewhere between the stock spring and the transgo spring... if i can get the part number i will for you guys... but that with no washers and of course the works on the rebuild... and it shifts so clean and smooth, kinda just glides through the gears.. however, if i hold 1st gear past 6000 rpms it'll chirp, but i really dont plan on running it past that.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

those shift setting are a little drastic for the basic kit w/out but you get the idea most wont have to reduce pressure that much. Mess around with it until it feels right.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

those shift setting are a little drastic for the basic kit w/out but you get the idea most wont have to reduce pressure that much. Mess around with it until it feels right.
Ya, they are a lot lower then mine, I'm going to try setting mine a little highers then yours and see how I like it. I haven't found a temp vs. tq table in efilive yet, but I will readjust the base pressure settings for the 1-2, I'm happy with my 2-3, so I will leave them alone. I'm supposed to get my tune emailed from waitforme tomorrow that I've been waiting for for 3 weeks, I've been waiting on it to see what he does with the trans setting, before I go messin everything up . Guess that's why he calls himself, "waitforme" cuz that what you do
Old 09-16-2005, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Naked AV
This is what tells me it is a design flaw....zero TM, and still problems with the 1-2 shift. I don't need to repeat the experiment.

I think the only thing removing all the TM in a heavy, 4L60-equipped truck would do is break the tranny.
I understand your need for caution. I run with 0TM, but my truck weighs a ton less, though.

I have the Vette servo and whatever the small hole size is for the 1-2 shift. The 1-2 accumulator I left stock (except for the pinless accumulator). I have no problems with my the 1-2 shift. It is firmer, but the wife doesn't even complain it.

Did you modify the 1-2 accumulator with the transgo setup?

Quick Reply: Shift Times w/Transgo?