Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shock choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shock choices

Wondering what peoples opinions are on shock choices for a 3/4 drop. Front lowered via 3 inch springs and rear with 4" hanger and shackle kit.

The front is fairly stiff spring and the rear hanger and shackle kit dearches the spring pretty good.

Seems no one really endores the shocks you get from Summit, the ones that have been repackaged under their name. For that matter. No one endores the shocks that come from the makers of the lowering kits.

Im looking for a smooth ride as can be with those suspension choices. Something that will be good for street driving and cornering performance but yet will still give a factory smooth ride.

Seems like from what i know that Koni, KYB, and Bilstein dont make shocks for these applications unless you get measurements and match up something out their catalog.

The opinions vary on the Edelbrock IAS shock to not even consider them.

What is the difference in the Belltech Nitro series vs the Street Performance. Seems the Street Performance gets good reviews.

I see that Doetsch does make some shocks for lower trucks, but not sure how good they are.

Anyone have opinions on what you have or give credence to.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by DAH32
Wondering what peoples opinions are on shock choices for a 3/4 drop. Front lowered via 3 inch springs and rear with 4" hanger and shackle kit.

The front is fairly stiff spring and the rear hanger and shackle kit dearches the spring pretty good.

Seems no one really endores the shocks you get from Summit, the ones that have been repackaged under their name. For that matter. No one endores the shocks that come from the makers of the lowering kits.

Im looking for a smooth ride as can be with those suspension choices. Something that will be good for street driving and cornering performance but yet will still give a factory smooth ride.

Seems like from what i know that Koni, KYB, and Bilstein dont make shocks for these applications unless you get measurements and match up something out their catalog.

The opinions vary on the Edelbrock IAS shock to not even consider them.

What is the difference in the Belltech Nitro series vs the Street Performance. Seems the Street Performance gets good reviews.

I see that Doetsch does make some shocks for lower trucks, but not sure how good they are.

Anyone have opinions on what you have or give credence to.
The last shocks I got from Summit as self branded shocks, were Ground Force.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try QA1 just measure and order the nearest thing to fit yours. That's what I did for my coilover shocks. And probably what I'll do eventually to the rear.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ground Force is what was the current supplier to Summit when I got the ones I have now. That agreements seems to change all the time. I had at length discussion with them about there shackle and hanger kits.

Does the QA1's work in a non coil over application?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes they also make normal smooth bodied shocks. Just measure compressed, extended, and the length you want to ride at and match to their nearest size.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

When you say smoothed bodied shocks. You talking about normal looking shock without the adjustment parts of that a coil over uses.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DAH32
When you say smoothed bodied shocks. You talking about normal looking shock without the adjustment parts of that a coil over uses.
Correct.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever you do, dont get the Belltech Nitro drop shocks. They suck. Not even 1000 miles on mine, and I replaced them with Ridetechs. They're sitting on my garage floor.

Just like the QA1, you would have to take a couple measurements to get the right sized Ridetech shock, but its easy.

I will say this, the Ridetechs are great shocks, and they did make an improvement, but you will never get all of your ride quality back. Get used to it.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll take your word for it on the ride.
I swapped from torsion bars to coilovers to lower the front and its amazingly better than stock.