Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shock relocation in front of the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock relocation in front of the diff?

Hey guys. I have an 01 silverado rcsb and i am looking to put shocks on it this winter. I was going to relocate the rear shocks behind the diff but i was talking to some guys at the track and they were talking about people relocating them in front of the diff and having really good luck. I have never seen this before so i was wondering if anybody else had heard of this before. I am running caltracs. Also looking for shock options? Afco? Qa1? Or does it really matter? Thank u guys for the help!!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Shhhhhhhhhh, don't let everyone know that, lol!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blown02408
Shhhhhhhhhh, don't let everyone know that, lol!
Is that your custom drag shock setup? Lol
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 PM

Yes mine are in front on my truck and on another ride.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Yes mine are in front on my truck and on another ride.
Did u notice any difference? What is the benefits? Can you post up or pm pics? Thanks for the top secret info
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 PM

Just through extensive testing on an x275 car we noticed that with the shocks behind the axle, on launch, they would extend quick then flat line before falling in to compression. During that transistion period the car would unload the tires. With the shocks in front the axle they would instantly go into compression from the axle wrapping up (which effectively planted the tires), then to a slow extension, then to compression without the flat area in the shock travel. The shocks just do there job much better this way.

I wish I could finish my truck so I can do more testing with it since it is a truck vs. a car. The last time out to the track many moons ago was looking very promising though.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Just through extensive testing on an x275 car we noticed that with the shocks behind the axle, on launch, they would extend quick then flat line before falling in to compression. During that transistion period the car would unload the tires. With the shocks in front the axle they would instantly go into compression from the axle wrapping up (which effectively planted the tires), then to a slow extension, then to compression without the flat area in the shock travel. The shocks just do there job much better this way.

I wish I could finish my truck so I can do more testing with it since it is a truck vs. a car. The last time out to the track many moons ago was looking very promising though.
Makes sense! Thank u very much for the info. Hoping more people chime in. If not i might just have to go for it and see what happens.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Shouldn't the Caltracs be eliminating the axle wrap?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Shouldn't the Caltracs be eliminating the axle wrap?
I wouldn't say they eliminate it, more like limit it on the initial hit. Seen too many bent leaf springs to prove that. All tests were done using shock travel sensors by the way.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like to see a video of this, would you happen to have any?

Quick Reply: Shock relocation in front of the diff?