Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shocks/Brakes ?'s. Suggestions/advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks/Brakes ?'s. Suggestions/advice needed.

Sorry for the long post but as you will read, I have trouble deciding where my money should go.

Been searching for a couple weeks now and I can't seem to make up my mind. Would like some suggestions from you all. I'm in need of brakes (front and back) along w/ rotors and drums and a good set of shocks. I'm also thinking I'm going to need the P-brake shoes.

Initially I was thinking a set of Rancho XL9000's, slotted (possibly dimpled) rotors, stock rear and some SS break lines. That added up quickly and I still had not included the pads and other miscellaneous items. I have no clue on what pads but was thinking either EBC, Wagner, or Hawk all Ceramic. So I decided to hit the drawing board again.

Came across a sponsor that advertised free shipping w/ a 5% discount just for being a forum member and a 20% discount on top of that if I was to purchase both shocks and pads. Pads only show Monroe products which I had no idea Monroe made brake pads. That and the fact that I don't know which to order has kept me from having the shocks and pads packed and shipped. Websites are Shockwarehouse.com and brakepadwarehouse.com

Pads show a few different sizes and I'm not sure which size applies for my vehicle (99 5.3 RCSB LS). If I follow the options and choose a 99 model year it seems to show OBS parts (even though I specify 5.3) and w/ 00 model year it shows NBS Parts from 01+ Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction and sizes.

I also plan on the doing the hydroboost in the late future so figured I'd just purchase stock rotors/drums for now, ceramic pads and the Bilstein's from said sponsor and P-brake shoes. I've already purchased the Goodridge 5 piece SS brake lines from evilgmc (Thanks again Pat) so that should give me a noticeable stopping power w/ stock rotors/drums and ceramic pads. If I choose to go stock, most parts will come w/ a discount from O'Reilly's so that's a plus.

I'd like to keep this at +/- $600. It will be a DIY job so labor costs will not be an issue. Maybe a few to have a buddy on hand in case help is needed.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

As far as shock goes, Bilstein all the way. They're more expensive but well worth the money, my truck feels more planted. The ride is a bit stiffer but nothing to worry about.

I have Hawk HPS pads but have read good things about Wagner too.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

TTT would like an answer as to which pad size is needed.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My Wagner Thermoquiets squeel a bit, but only with the factory alluminum wheels. I'm not kidding, when I had the Titan wheels on there they were very quiet. I also have a few customers that complain that the Wagners are loud and squeel during breaking, while others have no problems at all.

The upside to buying your parts at O'reillys, the lifetime warranty. If you purchase any of the brake pads (Brake Best, Wagner, Performance Friction) they come with a lifetime wear and tear warranty (they tell us not to advertise it as a wear and tear, but it is). Also, the Wagner rotors come with a lifetime warranty as well. If the rotor is still in spec, it should be turned for free at most stores, and if it is warn below spec or has a significant warp, a new rotor will be issued at no cost.

The only exclusions to these warranty policies are if the store knows you're putting these brakes on a high performance vehicle (not very likely, but they could if they wanted to be dicks about it), or if you allow the pads to go metal to metal, which would void the pad warranties and in some cases the rotor warranty as well. That would fall under abuse and would void the warranty.

So technically, that would the last brake setup you'll ever have to buy for the truck as long as you make sure and keep an eye on them and do not let them go metal to metal.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Scott. appreciate the reply.
Lifetime on wear and tear is nice. Something I did not know as they always state "limited".
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats basically our way of rewarding customers for repeat business. If a customer just walks in a says give me break pads, we tell them it's a limited lifetime warranty, but if they come back to us the next time they need to replace those pads, we will usually look at their past purchase history and see if they were bought from us, and replace them under warranty. We are not supposed to advertise the wear and tear policy unless the customer asks us when they purchase the pads.

Just make sure that if you ever by ANYTHING that you want us to keep records of, be sure and give us your phone number. A lot of counter guys sometimes hit the buttons too quick or do not care and do not take your phone number for our records. When that happens, you better hang on to your receipt. If you buy any part behind the counter, or a battery, they should ask for your phone number.