Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Should my front bumpstops be this close?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone can help me on that. i have 2004 ext cab with tor. bar suspension. My ride is bumpy and ive replaced my shocks and it ride smooth and now its back to riding bumpy. i was told to raise the bars, but i dont know how much to lift it. Some people say if its too much.. my suspension will get damaged.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always heard that the bump stops on our trucks are an "active" part of the suspension system. They're designed to ride like that.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would keep the oem bump stops. The factory bump stop is superior to an aftermarket stop, as it acts as a progressive stop.

Monroe Sensa-Tracs aren't designed for a lowered vehicle. They are designed to ride at a certain window within the shocks travel. The further you go outside that window, the shock doesn't perform like it should and ride suffers. If you want a better performing shock look into the Reflex line. They are a monotube design and for the price perform well.

You don't need a bump stop for the upper control arm. Only the lower arm has and should have a bump stop.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Dezert1500; 08-10-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The Monroe Reflex line offers a twintube and a monotube, so if you go for that shock, make sure you're getting the right one.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
I would keep the oem bump stops. The factory bump stop is superior to an aftermarket stop, as it acts as a progressive stop.

Monroe Sensa-Tracs aren't designed for a lowered vehicle. They are designed to ride at a certain window within the shocks travel. The further you go outside that window, the shock doesn't perform like it should and ride suffers. The Sensa-Trac is a twintube design, which is below par especially on a lowered vehicle. If you want a better performing shock look into the Reflex line. They are a monotube design and for the price perform well.

You don't need a bump stop for the upper control arm. Only the lower arm has and should have a bump stop.

Hope that helps.
Monroes website says the sensa tracs are monotube.

Products
Monroe® Sensa-Trac®
Premium Shocks and Struts and Innovative Technology
logo

* Passenger Car Shock Absorbers
* Truck Shock Absorbers
* Struts
* Monotube Shock Absorbers
* Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers
* Replacement Cartridge

For nearly a decade, Monroe® Sensa-Trac® shocks and struts have been a trusted ride control product for drivers who want ultimate comfort with added control. Sensa-Trac shocks and struts have groove tube technology that features precision tapered grooves that allow fluid to flow freely around the piston, creating a smoother ride under the wide range of driving conditions. During emergency maneuvers or braking, the piston travels beyond the grooves firming up the ride for added safety and control when it is needed most.
sensatrac_family.jpg
Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Leave them, that is perfectly normal like that. A lot of them are designed to ride on the stops like stated above.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Resident Retard

You are reading their website wrong. They are twintube.
How am i reading it wrong? I copied and pasted directly from the website
Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
How am i reading it wrong? I copied and pasted directly from the website
I'm retarded I kept thinking monro-matic. Take everything I wrote as correct minus the mix-up on the monotube part. I'm going to edit it now so I don't confuse anyone on that part.

Again the Sensa-Trac is a poor shock choice for your application.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Resident Retard

I'm retarded I kept thinking monro-matic. Take everything I wrote as correct minus the mix-up on the monotube part. I'm going to edit it now so I don't confuse anyone on that part.

Again the Sensa-Trac is a poor shock choice for your application.
I am not saying it is a good shock but the belltech street performance drop shocks i have ride like ***, i have the sensa-tracs sitting in my garage so i was gonna toss thwm on to see if it is any better
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No for sure if you have them run them and see if they help. Front shocks on these Sivlerado's are the easiest to take off. I would still continue to make sure the rest of your suspension is in check though.

Quick Reply: Should my front bumpstops be this close?