Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Silverado SS brakes not wearing right

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado SS brakes not wearing right

So the truck is a 2004 Silverado SS AWD, 110K miles. Replaced all 4 rotors and all the pads. Did this on the same day last week. Been driving the truck around and it seems to stop normally but from a visual inspection of the rotors, the rear brakes seem to be the ones stopping the whole truck. Rear rotors are visibly wearing (as would be expected), problem is that the front rotors still look like the did when I put them on. These are BRAND NEW rotors all around and the fronts still have that new cross-hatch type finish on them with no visible signs of the pads clamping down on them. I went through and fully bled the brakes 2 complete times on friday and the truck seemed to be more responsive to brake input but it turns out the rears are just working better, fronts are the same. At this point im thinking I need new calipers in the front? Seems odd as when I was bleeding them, there was definitely pressure when i cracked the bleeders. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the caliper pins well lubricated and sliding smoothly?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Yes the guide pins were all cleaned and re-greased with waterproof green grease before i re-assembled them. Here are some pics of what i am talking about on the rotors...

Rear

Front (notice they still look look like new after ~150 miles

Old 04-16-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i can tell by that streak on it that the pads are clamping on the rotor but thet may not be clamping as hard as they should.. Have you noticed a different feeling from the truck when you hit the brakes? Does the front end dip more than usual or no dip at all?

I would get it on the road and ride the brakes with medium pedal pressure for 3-5 seconds and then pull over and stick your hand down by all four brakes and make sure they are hot.. You should deff feel the heat coming off your front brakes if you rode them for 3-5 seconds..
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Teching In

As far as a difference in the truck's braking feel, i have had this truck for almost a year and its my DD. This is the first time i needed to do anything brake related. To answer one of the questions, the brake feel is the same as it has always been. On anoter note, the reason i had to do anythig brake related was because the rear brakes had basically NO friction surface left, meanwhile the fronts had ~40% pad surface left. I went ahead and changed the brakes all around last week as i had alreay purchased everything. Now as far as heat on the rotors, after a drive i have stopped and the rear rotors are significantly hotter than the fronts.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcha, if your sure you greased them up good before you put them all togther then that shouldnt be it..

What type of pad did you use?

If it was me, i would just disassemble the fronts again and check them over really good.. if you dont find anything out of the ordinary then i would bleed them again..

Also, did you let the calipers hang by the brake line while you were working on it? Or if you had them sitting up on the control arm and you knocked them off and they fell suspended by the brake line
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01silvy
Gotcha, if your sure you greased them up good before you put them all togther then that shouldnt be it..

What type of pad did you use?

If it was me, i would just disassemble the fronts again and check them over really good.. if you dont find anything out of the ordinary then i would bleed them again..

Also, did you let the calipers hang by the brake line while you were working on it? Or if you had them sitting up on the control arm and you knocked them off and they fell suspended by the brake line
The pads i used were semi-metallic bendix pads.

As far as the calipers falling or haning by the lines i am very careful not to do that, but I can't say it hasnt been done since i have not owned the truck since new.

Im going to take them apart and look at the pistons on the calipers and see if there is anything out of the ordinary but i check all the fluids regularly and havent noticed any loss of brake fluid. I am going to see if i can use the snap-on modis scan tool i have at work to perform a power-bleed of the abs module (if it can even be done with that computer)