Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

slammed C3/Denali ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slammed C3/Denali ??

A friend dropped his c3 with mcgaughy 3" spindles and 4" keys and got sick of tired of ripping the cv shafts apart (they would extend too far on turns & just come apart).

Thing is, he wants to slam it again and was thinking the axle spacers from a lift kit would help. Anyone tryed this or have experience to say yes/no
thanks

Gerry
Old 07-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Teching In

i know there was a defect in their spindles i read about a while back. i have a c3 and i was gonna buy them. so he dropped it a total of 7 inches in the front? with 3 inch spindles and 4 inch keys?

Last edited by ObliviouS; 07-19-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ObliviouS
i know there was a defect in their spindles i read about a while back. i have a c3 and i was gonna buy them. so he dropped it a total of 7 inches in the front? with 3 inch spindles and 4 inch keys?
I can't remember if his keys are 3 or 4" but ya he had them combined.

What was the defect?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Teching In

I can't remember what the defect was. just search it on here. but i would think 7 inches would be too much with the transfer case and drive shafts and everything in the front. All the SS and Denali guys are here only go 2 in the front. i'm dropping mine 2/4 eventually.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMracer went low with his 4wd, just about 2wd 4/6 stance and didn't have any issues with binding, or anything with the CVs. Do a search for like lowest static 4wd, or something like that and his thread should come up, or just search through his post.

Don't know anything about spacers though
Old 07-20-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ObliviouS
I can't remember what the defect was. just search it on here. but i would think 7 inches would be too much with the transfer case and drive shafts and everything in the front. All the SS and Denali guys are here only go 2 in the front. i'm dropping mine 2/4 eventually.
I'll have to look for that. Only problem was the shafts getting ripped apart
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02BlueStepside
GMracer went low with his 4wd, just about 2wd 4/6 stance and didn't have any issues with binding, or anything with the CVs. Do a search for like lowest static 4wd, or something like that and his thread should come up, or just search through his post.

Don't know anything about spacers though

Cool, thanks for the tip

After talking it over with Mike the spacers make sense to correct the problem he was having. Just gotta find out if any of the manufacturers will sell the spacers seperate
Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

The difference between the AWD and 4WD trucks is that on the C3/Denali a certain percentage of torque is always running through those shafts. 4WD guys can go low with no issues as long as they're spending most of their time in 2WD. Still, I'm amazed at a 7" front drop up front on that rig. The lowest AWD drop I've ever seen is just over 3", and that truck belonged to a guy who worked for an aftermarket suspension company. On my old SD, any time I tried to go lower than 2" (via the torsion bars...I sold the truck prior to installing spindles) I got nasty vibration at > 35mph and really nasty binding in low speed turns.

Good luck to your friend - I'd love to see how this turns out.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
The difference between the AWD and 4WD trucks is that on the C3/Denali a certain percentage of torque is always running through those shafts. 4WD guys can go low with no issues as long as they're spending most of their time in 2WD. Still, I'm amazed at a 7" front drop up front on that rig. The lowest AWD drop I've ever seen is just over 3", and that truck belonged to a guy who worked for an aftermarket suspension company. On my old SD, any time I tried to go lower than 2" (via the torsion bars...I sold the truck prior to installing spindles) I got nasty vibration at > 35mph and really nasty binding in low speed turns.

Good luck to your friend - I'd love to see how this turns out.
I was talking to Mike and he remembered that the other problem he had when it was slammed was it rubbing on the top of the inner fender over bumps at 60 or 80 kph

He's still talking about slamming it again, this time I'll take pictures of it
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

That doesn't sound safe, he's going to trash his front end....

Quick Reply: slammed C3/Denali ??