Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Slipping in and out of gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slipping in and out of gear.

Sometimes when going from 2nd to 3rd it will mostly kick out and rev up nicely and after letting off it kicks back in and no prob. Other times if i'm on the throttle it will kick in and out violently. I think it's something in the tune? and not mechanical.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a 60E bouncing off the rev limiter on a 2-3 shift on WOT. Unless you've just changed something in the tune, I'd say it's not the tune, it's the transmission. In your sig, I see big tires, 2600 'verter, forced induction, and a 60E.

That's a good recipe for broken transmissions, repeatedly.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the trans. Mine was doing the same thing. (IDENTICAL) Talked to PerformaBuilt and they need it back to pull it apart. Mine wouldn't hold anything past 150psi using the diagnostic port on the side of the trans. Its currently in the garage waiting for a box to ship it in.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very familiar with the builds from many, many shops nationwide as I've been asked to repair units that have suffered multiple failures over the years. I do not recognize the name Black Panther. Can you tell me a little about them or provide a link?

Also, how old is you transmission? Is the fluid level good? What is the fluid condition currently?

It sounds to me like there is a problem in the 2/3 shift accumulation circuit or a problem with the 3/4 clutches themselves. Lot's of shops are capable of rebuilding these units, but there are not that many that can successfully take them to a high level of performance.

Tell us about the fluid and maybe that will help us understand what your next steps should be.

g
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Its the trans. Mine was doing the same thing. (IDENTICAL) Talked to PerformaBuilt and they need it back to pull it apart. Mine wouldn't hold anything past 150psi using the diagnostic port on the side of the trans. Its currently in the garage waiting for a box to ship it in.
What was your diagnosis?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
I am very familiar with the builds from many, many shops nationwide as I've been asked to repair units that have suffered multiple failures over the years. I do not recognize the name Black Panther. Can you tell me a little about them or provide a link?

Also, how old is you transmission? Is the fluid level good? What is the fluid condition currently?

It sounds to me like there is a problem in the 2/3 shift accumulation circuit or a problem with the 3/4 clutches themselves. Lot's of shops are capable of rebuilding these units, but there are not that many that can successfully take them to a high level of performance.

Tell us about the fluid and maybe that will help us understand what your next steps should be.

g
I don't have the black panther no more just the case, I wrecked it less than a year into it and I only drive it in the winter. The builder here says what was supposed to be in it wasn't and it wasn't worth it to me to ship it back for him to see what was a matter. He changed his company name from total car care to what I can see is
Chevy Transmission Repair Fort Lauderdale Florida This transmission is just over a year old but again only driven in the winter. The fluid looks and smells good.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tweeder
What was your diagnosis?
Still in a box in the garage. Should be shipping it today maybe tomorrow. (work has been crazy here lately.) I was told by the trans builder they would need to have it back to tear it down and see what is going on. I know pressures on the diagnostic port were bleeding off once it reached around 110 deg or so per EFI Live. Pressures would never go above 150psi during diagnostics. First gear was solid. Didn't feel like anything was wrong. Second gear was lazy and would slip into gear. Third would go in gear for a second or two then pop out of gear RPM's would climb a few hundred then it would re-engauge Third gear. torque converter would lock up just like normal.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What should I log with HPTuners to maybe get a better view of whats goin on?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called my tranny guy today to explain whats going on. He doesn't think its anything mechanical because of the intermittance. He told me to check and see if the TPS is working properly as the tranny uses that for shifting.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Slipping in and out of gear.