Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Slipping trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slipping trans

Is the wheatly tune bad for your trans my trans is dumping on me and not shifting at all, my truck has 120000 too.
I think i will go back to stock i feel this tune had something to do with this
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doubt it's the tune, but maybe your foot. How long have you had the tune?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Been tune for 7 months

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
doubt it's the tune, but maybe your foot. How long have you had the tune?
been tune tuned for 7 months , DOES HOW YOU DRIVE IT DETERMINE IF YOUR TRANS IS GOING TO GO BAD, I THOUGHT THATS WHAT THE TUNE WAS ALLL ABOUT , 'PERFORMANCE'.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naturally if you have a performance tune put in your truck it will most def affect the rest of the drive line. People seem to do this backwards time and time again. Build your drive line first, then the engine, or do it all at the same time. A stone stock trans with 120k on it is not going to last long with a tune if you beat on the truck. If you had Charlie take out the Tq management it will lesson the life. Best bet is to save for a built unit, going back to stock is not going to help anything.. And if you seriously thought a tune would save the trans, you need read alot more.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, all tuners adjust the "transmission slip" tables in your PCM.

Before you blame Wheatley, why dont you drop your pan and check the condition of the fluid and debri in the pan first. Do a little diagnosis. While the maintanence on this truck for a total of 120,000 miles is unknown, as well as the abuse over the years and 120,000 is also unknown, blaming the tuner isnt the first option to take in this instance.

Specially since you have had the tune for 7 months and now just seeing issues
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 40series
been tune tuned for 7 months , DOES HOW YOU DRIVE IT DETERMINE IF YOUR TRANS IS GOING TO GO BAD, I THOUGHT THATS WHAT THE TUNE WAS ALLL ABOUT , 'PERFORMANCE'.
Just a little bit. Keeping the maintance up on the trans is very important. In a 120k miles I change my fluid 3 times. With 120k on yours it's done lived a good life.
Tune does help with performance. adding a tune will increase hp and cause the already weak trans to give out.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default The fluids looking a tad brown

Yeah i changed the trans fluid in 2010 best i could i couldnt get the pan completly off cause the y pipe was in the way, so i dumped it best i could and swapped the filter. The trans fluid look a bit brownish when i pulled the stick today im pissed.
Originally Posted by 2bfast
yeah, all tuners adjust the "transmission slip" tables in your pcm.

Before you blame wheatley, why dont you drop your pan and check the condition of the fluid and debri in the pan first. Do a little diagnosis. While the maintanence on this truck for a total of 120,000 miles is unknown, as well as the abuse over the years and 120,000 is also unknown, blaming the tuner isnt the first option to take in this instance.

Specially since you have had the tune for 7 months and now just seeing issues
Old 03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default I didnt say a tune would save my trans

But i will say that i think im going back to stock , correct at this milage 120000 or there bouts when i got the tune i just wonder what if?
Originally Posted by mangled03gmc
naturally if you have a performance tune put in your truck it will most def affect the rest of the drive line. People seem to do this backwards time and time again. Build your drive line first, then the engine, or do it all at the same time. A stone stock trans with 120k on it is not going to last long with a tune if you beat on the truck. If you had charlie take out the tq management it will lesson the life. Best bet is to save for a built unit, going back to stock is not going to help anything.. And if you seriously thought a tune would save the trans, you need read alot more.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are essentially stock, you might have bolted on another 40-60 hp. If the trans is leaving it is going to regardless of stock or modded. 120k is a long time for a trans to last to start with, given they are already weak for our trucks.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Time to R&R

Quick Reply: Slipping trans