Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Un-cranking the t-bars doesn't make them any softer, there still the same spring rate, but any time you to adjust them, you HAVE to have it realigned.

My truck I took 5 turns out of the t-bars, removed the lift blocks and put 275/60/16 on it and it dropped it 1 1/2 in the front and 2 3/4 in the rear.
I dont have any money set aside for this so this seems like the way I will go. Can I leave the 4wd u-bolts hangin low for now? If I was to get shocks, can I get direct replacement shocks? Or should I get drop shocks even though I am not that low?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by budhayes3
My drop is pretty much a "budget drop"....lowering keys, removed lift blocks, and 2" rear shackles. Haven't done shocks yet but I'm getting by with what I have for now. Besides the keys and shackles, the only other expenses are the 2wd U-bolts, and a wheel alignment if you don't have access to an alignment rack.
Man, your truck is what got me thinking about this in the first place!!! Nice looking ride! How do you like the ride compared to being stock height? Are you running stock Z71 shocks?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
I dont have any money set aside for this so this seems like the way I will go. Can I leave the 4wd u-bolts hangin low for now? If I was to get shocks, can I get direct replacement shocks? Or should I get drop shocks even though I am not that low?
I didn't change my shocks and the truck rides GREAT! I think the u-bolts are only like 35 bucks or something like that. I don't thing the 4x4 u-bolts have enough threads on them.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tootall
so that means you're upgrading to spindles . . . . your chick loose some weight? j/k
Nah, I like her just the way she is

Not Fat
Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Gotta have new bolts. I also had to cut the bump stops all the way around. I was practically resting on the fronts when I was done, and I could tell I was occasionally hitting the back ones (steep gravel driveway ).

Well worth the time and small change. Love the new look, but I just have one problem...

I want to drop it another two inches! Looks like spindles / hangers are in my relatively near future.

BTW, sig pic is before the drop - gonna update soon.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah... I checked the dealerships in my area and one said "I cant get those" The other wanted $25 dollars....PER bolt!!! Without nuts mind you. I guess I will have to fish around some more. A place called Brake Service said that they could make a set for $55-$60 bucks.

Originally Posted by jknox
Gotta have new bolts. I also had to cut the bump stops all the way around. I was practically resting on the fronts when I was done, and I could tell I was occasionally hitting the back ones (steep gravel driveway ).

Well worth the time and small change. Love the new look, but I just have one problem...

I want to drop it another two inches! Looks like spindles / hangers are in my relatively near future.

BTW, sig pic is before the drop - gonna update soon.
Thanks for the tips! I would love to see an updated pic truck! My truck looks alot like yours but mine is white, not blue. Lets see it!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

A poor man's drop is heating springs, cutting springs or a general hacking of the suspension. Budget drop is using less expensive, but proper, components to achieve a drop.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Yeah... I checked the dealerships in my area and one said "I cant get those" The other wanted $25 dollars....PER bolt!!! Without nuts mind you. I guess I will have to fish around some more. A place called Brake Service said that they could make a set for $55-$60 bucks.
That's why we call 'em "stealerships".
I ended up buying a set from the classifieds here, but I remember looking them up on gmpd and the were like $9 each. And you reuse the rest of the hardware.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing wrong with cutting a coil off the front springs, just don't do it with a torch and DO NOT heat the springs.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jknox
That's why we call 'em "stealerships".
I ended up buying a set from the classifieds here, but I remember looking them up on gmpd and the were like $9 each. And you reuse the rest of the hardware.
Any chance of seeing an updated pic?

Quick Reply: So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?