Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan96z71
GMpartsdirect the 2wd ubolts are 9 a piece. Just got them but haven't put them on yet. I am also going with the lowering keys. I will see how I like the stance at that point and go from there.
Do you happen to have a part number for those?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Ok cool. Thanks for taking the time to get some pics.
Here ya go - dirty truck in crappy light. This is the current stance. I keep playing with the torsion bars - can't decide whether I like level or a slight rake more.

I figure this is just a start. Another 2 inches would help a lot, but it's going to have to wait a while. I've got to have new tires real soon (like next week soon) and then I've got more go-fast stuff planned.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude that looks great!!!! That is almost exactly what I am looking for. How does it ride? Do you notice any difference in the ride when you crank the tbars up and down?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

X2, looks real good. Do ya have anymore room to crank on yer keys? I'm thinkin' just a little lower..............
Old 06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the kind words! The ride seems fine like this. But then again I drove it for a week before I cut the front stops - that was rough as hell!

I'm guessing there's a couple of inches left in the keys. At this height it doesn't take much to make a visible difference - no more than +/- quarter turn. I might try it just to see what I'll get, but the shocks would definitely have to be replaced to run like that. You end up bottoming them out instead and then blowing them...

The way I look at it, I now have a leveled-out 2WD height. Shocks should be ok as is, but I'll definitely have to replace the rear when I go lower. Front spindles won't change the shock length so that won't be necessary but I will anyway (5 years and 100K is plenty for the stockers).

Now if I only had the budget to do wheels with the new tires...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:42 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

Hey, ColdZ71-
PM CYAZ06 (Fred) about lowering your truck. He's in Scarborough and has done a bunch of GM drops, including mine. He'll do any suspension work you need and has a good shop.
Here's a pic of our trucks together. his is up front on 22's, mine's on 20's.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thanks!!!! I think I may just remove the lift blocks and crank down the front for now. If I need any advice, I will hit him up with some questions. You guys have some sick *** trucks!!!!! Does he run a shop or are you talking about a personal garage? Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:57 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Hey thanks!!!! I think I may just remove the lift blocks and crank down the front for now. If I need any advice, I will hit him up with some questions. You guys have some sick *** trucks!!!!! Does he run a shop or are you talking about a personal garage? Thanks again.
He's a mechanic by trade and a buddy of his lets him use his service shop whenever he wants it. He can also order your parts for you. I bought my Belltech spindles and shackles thru him.
He's a great guy. Hit him up if you need anything.
-Teddy
Old 07-01-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's awesome man thanks!!!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking to do the same thing to my CCSB Sierra.....might go the McGaughy's route....what do you guys think? Here's a pic of the truck now.....
Attached Thumbnails So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?-truck.jpg  

Quick Reply: So, what is a "Poor Man's Drop"?