Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Somebody has to know....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Somebody has to know....

Every GMC C3 that I've ever had my hands on has had 4.10 axle gears. Were they available with different gears? I'm going to check out a wrecked parts truck soon. Hopefully the RPO sticker is still in the glovebox.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, that's just plain odd as all get out, as every 2001 GMC Sierra C3 came with 3.73 gears standard and no options for anything else. The Sierra Denali on the other hand did come standard with 4.10's and no other options. The Yukon Denali's also were equipped with 3.73's as the standard gear ratio.

The C3's had very few available options, as everything was basically standard, the option list would have been as follows:
Three color options - Onyx Black, Pewter & Polo Green
Two interior color patterns - Pewter/Shale & Tan/Sandstone
Chrome Side Steps or Color Keyed Running Boards
Engine Block Heater

An item that was a running change and not an option was:
Early models came with machined finished wheels accented with silver sparkle paint, while later models all had polished finished wheels.

There were no other options available.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Thanks, looks like my memory failed me again. After reading your post, I looked at some of my customer's HPT files, and yep, 3.73's. Sierra Denali and SSS AWD 4.10's.

Thanks for the post!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem......What you looking to nab from the junk man?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Well, I was hoping for a 6.0 as a base for another build, and 4.10 gears. Also, my employee just picked up a 1989 K1500 project that he wants to do a 5.3 swap to, and another local guy wants to convert his 4x4 to AWD. We will see what happens next, I haven't even seen the truck yet. I almost feel like I'm putting the cart in front of the horse.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I hate to hear of the demise of a C3, hopefully it still has most of it's underpinnings to rob from.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly are the C3s? My buddy has one and I drove it once but what is the deal with them? Like what makes them C3s? Just curious lol, never really seen any info on them.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 2001 GMC C³ was a one year only vehicle that was essentially the truck version of the Yukon Denali and was re-badged as the Sierra Denali in 2002. It preceded the Silverado SS by two years, which by all standards utilized the same drive-train, except that the SS was equipped with the 345hp LQ9 and 4.10 gears. They are so close in DNA in fact that the original SS concept truck was actually a Polo Green C³ with Chevrolet body panels installed to mock up the body work for what was to become the final product.

Its “C³” designation signaled a highly individualized, third generation version of GMC’s increasingly popular Sierra line, following introduction of the Sierra badge in 1998 and the line’s complete reengineering in 1999 and marking GMC's 100 years of building trucks. The Sierra C³’s components and systems were, for the most part, unprecedented in the pickup truck world at that time. The 100 year thing is slightly off, but I guess they figured who would notice.

The C³ came with a 6.0L LQ4 325hp 370ft-lbs, 4L60E-HD (AKA 4L65E), AWD and 3.73 geared axles.

The C³ has a 6,800-pound (3,084 kg) GVW rating and 14,000-pound (6,350 kg) GCWR. It provides outstanding capability to tow trailers weighting up to 8,700 pound (3,946 kg). The C³ requires no extra equipment to realize its maximum trailering potential. Its standard Z82 heavy-duty trailering package includes a 12,000-pound (5,443 kg) weight-distributing platform trailer hitch, a seven-pin trailer harness connector, and a “plug and go” trailer brake controller jumper harness. A transmission temperature gauge is also standard.

Front brakes use a 51mm twin-piston caliper; rear brakes use large 45mm twin piston calipers, borrowed from the 3/4-ton Sierra, to match the C³’s braking performance to its heightened acceleration and cornering capability.

The C³’s unprecedented driving character stemed from a Sierra-exclusive package of specially integrated powertrain and chassis components – succinctly summed up by the GMC-coined concept of “Performance Biased Driveline.” The concept is so embedded in the truck’s character that it’s called out the C³’s wheel center caps.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1Bear
The 2001 GMC C³ was a one year only vehicle that was essentially the truck version of the Yukon Denali and was re-badged as the Sierra Denali in 2002. It preceded the Silverado SS by two years, which by all standards utilized the same drive-train, except that the SS was equipped with the 345hp LQ9 and 4.10 gears. They are so close in DNA in fact that the original SS concept truck was actually a Polo Green C³ with Chevrolet body panels installed to mock up the body work for what was to become the final product.

Its “C³” designation signaled a highly individualized, third generation version of GMC’s increasingly popular Sierra line, following introduction of the Sierra badge in 1998 and the line’s complete reengineering in 1999 and marking GMC's 100 years of building trucks. The Sierra C³’s components and systems were, for the most part, unprecedented in the pickup truck world at that time. The 100 year thing is slightly off, but I guess they figured who would notice.

The C³ came with a 6.0L LQ4 325hp 370ft-lbs, 4L60E-HD (AKA 4L65E), AWD and 3.73 geared axles.

The C³ has a 6,800-pound (3,084 kg) GVW rating and 14,000-pound (6,350 kg) GCWR. It provides outstanding capability to tow trailers weighting up to 8,700 pound (3,946 kg). The C³ requires no extra equipment to realize its maximum trailering potential. Its standard Z82 heavy-duty trailering package includes a 12,000-pound (5,443 kg) weight-distributing platform trailer hitch, a seven-pin trailer harness connector, and a “plug and go” trailer brake controller jumper harness. A transmission temperature gauge is also standard.

Front brakes use a 51mm twin-piston caliper; rear brakes use large 45mm twin piston calipers, borrowed from the 3/4-ton Sierra, to match the C³’s braking performance to its heightened acceleration and cornering capability.

The C³’s unprecedented driving character stemed from a Sierra-exclusive package of specially integrated powertrain and chassis components – succinctly summed up by the GMC-coined concept of “Performance Biased Driveline.” The concept is so embedded in the truck’s character that it’s called out the C³’s wheel center caps.
Thats pretty awesome. What was the production numbers on them? His is the only one ive seen in person. Ive always thought of them as GMC's version of the SS. They're sweet trucks for sure.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM
10 Second Truck Club

1Bear, I read your posts and thought about the movie "My cousin Vinny" where Marisa Tomei was on the stand in court. Very precise

Quick Reply: Somebody has to know....