Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Someone please diagnose this....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please diagnose this....

Ok, back in October, it seemed the tranny was headed straight to hell. At light acceleration it would get to around 35mph, then it seemed the converter would flash up some, then it would shift. WOT it would flash all the way until I let off the gas, then shift at destinated shift point. It shifted firm and it never slips in and out of gear.

Fast forward to January. I got the interior back together and started driving it. The problem seemed to fix itself(to some extent) and and WOT it would work properly. I noticed it was almost directly related to outside temps. It was hot as hell in October when I was having the most trouble. On a cold day, it seems to act great. The other day I took it to town(warmer day), it started flashing some on light acceleration.

So, what is the deal? The tranny fluid is proper color with no burnt clutch indication. Is this my converter going south? On warm days, it will flash up for no reason, but the tranny will shift/hold gear like its supposed to. I'm really hoping its the converter, because I was already planning to go up and with a different brand. What do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Have you noticed a temp increase in the tranny fluid on the warmer days as opposed to the cool days? Does it seem to do it in certian gears more than other gears?

On another note, it could be tune related since most of the trans tables have a temp reference.

Usually when the converter goes out, you will be able to hear it clank and clatter as something will be physically broke inside.
One way to test weither it is the converter or tranny is to hook up a TCC enable switch to lock the converter and hit it hard in what ever gear you feel may be slipping. If it still slips bad it is more than likely your trans.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKID
Have you noticed a temp increase in the tranny fluid on the warmer days as opposed to the cool days? Does it seem to do it in certian gears more than other gears?

On another note, it could be tune related since most of the trans tables have a temp reference.

Usually when the converter goes out, you will be able to hear it clank and clatter as something will be physically broke inside.
One way to test weither it is the converter or tranny is to hook up a TCC enable switch to lock the converter and hit it hard in what ever gear you feel may be slipping. If it still slips bad it is more than likely your trans.
I've really noticed a whirling sound when slowing down. It's been there since the converter install, but lately its been a ton more noticeable. It also seems to jerk around a bit when slowing down. It mainly flashes in first gear acceleration.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Whirling like gear whine or like a fan blade or rotor?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like when my TCI went out didnt want to lock up and made the trans jsut act wierd all the way around. If I remember correctly you have a TCI if so get rid of that POS
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigKID
Whirling like gear whine or like a fan blade or rotor?
Whirling more like a fan blade slowing down from under me. When I let off of the accelerator at high speed, its really loud. Doesn't seem to be coming from the rear, so I kinda cancelled out the gears whining.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Sounds like when my TCI went out didnt want to lock up and made the trans jsut act wierd all the way around. If I remember correctly you have a TCI if so get rid of that POS
I do have the TCI 3000. It would tickle me to death to find out it was the converter and not the tranny. I'm going to give that fuddle a try on my next converter. I just got off of the phone with a salvage yard that purchased a 6.0L/4l80e combo for an old camaro. He's going to convert to the 4l60e due to space requirements, so I'm first in line on the 4l80e when he decides to get rid of it. That would be best case, but I want this problem fixed THIS MONTH!!!! I really miss the track!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Truck addict

ever since my tranny build my trans would buck and jump and just act crappy when i would let off the gas and allow the truck to slow down on it's own. but the bucking was very noticeable. i wonder whats causing that since your tranny is doing that too
Old 01-30-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever check into this?
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=352187
Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ranwalk
Just printed it out and will be taking it to my tranny guy hopefully this week. I had forgotten all about that bulletin!!! Way to keep an eye out for me, Randy!