Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Something broke some where...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Something broke some where...

Driving normal and kept hearing a whine noice when more so when I slow down. Service 4wd light came on as it does every so often for the last couple years but it usually goes away. The push button for the 4wd don't light up when the service 4wd message is on.

So I slow down and the truck starts to shutter. Pulled over looked underneath and saw this:

So I get in the truck put it in neutral and the drive shaft was still spinning but slower.

Called the tow truck and as he pulled it on the flat bed the rear wheels would roll then lock up eventually just locking up. The drive shaft dropped off while pulling it up the flat bed so I pulled I office rest of the way.

The gears are 3.73 in the rear and 3.42 in the front. I know not to put it in 4wd but with the service 4wd it used to randomly put itself in 4wd.

If this was the case who would winthe front or the rear?
Is my tranny possibly fucked?

Its stuck 2 hours from home hopefully and sitting at the dealer ship.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Impossible to know for sure without opening it up but I'd start shopping for a new axle. Your trans may be ok though. No bueno.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Damn dude that sucks. Who installed your gears and the moser? I doubt you hurt the tranny as long as the output shaft is ok which it should be being billet. Time to tear the rear cover off...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
Damn dude that sucks. Who installed your gears and the moser? I doubt you hurt the tranny as long as the output shaft is ok which it should be being billet. Time to tear the rear cover off...
A mechanic that my uncle knows and uses for his personal stuff did it with me in my uncles shop.

I'm really hopin the tranny is good i dont feel like pulling it and send it in. I am on Rochester Hills 2 hours from home can't do anything here. Got it at the dealership.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Launching!

Wow man that sucks. Let us know what happened if you can figure it out!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dealership says my whole rear axle is shot.

They think the faulty 4wd actuator put itself in 4wd and the difference in gears cause the damage.

Now I gotta figure out how to get the rear to free wheel and get this thing on a eager beaver trailer. Anyone got a car hauler I can borrow?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dealer say 2000$ for a used axle since GM doesn't make them anymore

I need to haul my truck back home but does anyone have any suggestions on the rear end? If I really do new to replace the whole thing how much should it be? I remember seeing a place that sells complete built up read ends don't remember the link. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Static54
Dealer say 2000$ for a used axle since GM doesn't make them anymore

I need to haul my truck back home but does anyone have any suggestions on the rear end? If I really do new to replace the whole thing how much should it be? I remember seeing a place that sells complete built up read ends don't remember the link. Any help is appreciated.
I got a used rear end last week for $570 from a local junkyard. Only had 80,000 miles on it.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I got a used rear end last week for $570 from a local junkyard. Only had 80,000 miles on it.
Way to rub it in! JK
Ya they are trying to screw me cuz im out of town. I been looking now and I see some low mileage ones near my house for 800. Plus the dealership wants 1400$ to install their salvaged axle.

I'm definitely towing it home and gonna do everything myself.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

What will it cost to tow it? Factor that in with the parts. Sucks they are trying to get over on you.

Quick Reply: Something broke some where...