Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Stainless steel brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless steel brakes?

Anyone have SSBC's short stop set-up? They offer a 4-wheel kit with all 4 rotors that are slotted and high performance pads for under $400. I would like a set-up like J Smith's but this SSBC kit is cheaper. Any thoughts on this kit?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

i put a set on my rear. only pads and rotors. kept caliper stock. the whole set was a good price. i can't tell if they make much of a difference since they are on the rear. no problems yet though. had them on for a year now. i think they are better than the drilled and slotted. the drilled ones are weaker. these are just slotted. if i was to do it all over again, i would buy the kit that comes with the calipers too.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the pics. I probably going to get them, good price. I'd like to get the calipers to , but they are expensive. I need to replace my rears, have 104k miles and the pads are finally worn out.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, by the way did you get the optional plating?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Save your money.

1. Replace your rears with all OE equipment.

2. That front caliper upgrade would be perfect, without upgrading your rotors.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster, and increase dust significantly while not offering you any stopping improvements on dry flat surfaces. But they look sexy

The rear braking system only accounts for <20% of your total braking. Spend the bulk of your money up front where it counts.

You may even lose some unsprung weight by switching to this caliper. That is a good thing!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't mean to hijack but, has anyone ever found out anymore info on swapping the new bigger 05 front brakes onto the older trucks?? THANKS!!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

the stock rotors for the rear are super exspensive. i think it is cheaper to get after market.

i never got the optional plating. i don't remember it being an option when i bought them
Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Save your money.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster, and increase dust significantly while not offering you any stopping improvements on dry flat surfaces. But they look sexy

The rear braking system only accounts for <20% of your total braking. Spend the bulk of your money up front where it counts.

You may even lose some unsprung weight by switching to this caliper. That is a good thing!

I understand what you are saying, but this is the 3rd 99-02 model truck, I've owned, that the rears have worn out faster than the fronts. I think it's due to GM's crapy job on the 4-wheel discs. Maybe that's why they went back to drums ??
Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KeukaZ71
the stock rotors for the rear are super exspensive. i think it is cheaper to get after market.

i never got the optional plating. i don't remember it being an option when i bought them

I agree with you - factory rotors are around $135 each and pads are $150. For that amount I can the full SSBC kit for all four wheels, instead of just the rears. I think I will definately get the SSBC kit and get some new stainless lines and eventually upgrade the calipers.

Thanks for your input.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unredeemed
Save your money.

Actually, slotted rotors (of the same diameter as OEM) are worse than stock, since there is less surface area for the pads to contact, and the surface is uneven.

As unredeemed alludes to here, slotted rotors of the same diameter as stock with new pads are actually a cosmetic upgrade, and a performance downgrade.

Your best FUNCTIONAL brake upgrade for under $300 is:

1) Stainless steel brake lines
2) Upgraded pads (keep stock rotors)
3) Upgraded fluid (i.e. ATE Super Blue)

Quick Reply: Stainless steel brakes?