Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Stall/torque Converter Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall/torque Converter Problem???

Ok guys. About 4 months ago I had a Trailblazer stall/tq put in and I just had my Avy at the dyno to get it redone and there are big problems with the tq. I purchased it from the guy on Ebay everyone recommended and I didn't think there was any wrong with it just needed to be dialed in well I wrong...
It is slipping like crazy and is heating up my transmission way more then it should be and there is clutch dirt in the transmission fluid. My dyno guy knows what he is doing and he showed me the figures and numbers on the screen as he was running the dyno. He couldn't even do a full pull because he was afraid he might damage the transmission...
Now I contacted the guy I got the tq from on Ebay and he said this is the first time he has had a problem ( big surprise ) but really didn't seem to have any answers...

What I'm looking for here is any thoughts, input and or ideas...

I need to get this tq out as soon possible and I don't have the stock one so I'm going to have to get a new one. So my choices are stay with the GM OEM one or a new aftermarket one, also not sure what to do there either.
I've already put out alot of money for this work and it not going to be covered under the warranty...

Now I'm being told to get the dealership to do a pressur test on the coolant system and see if there's a problem there...

Let me know guys, thanks
Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

list what mods you got on your truck so we can help recommend a torque converter for you.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the converter on e-bay and they are reworked 5.3 trailblazer/ 4.8 pick up truck converters and not the true I-6 model even the photo shows that!
I have cut one open and found the build to get the stall speed stated will cause the problems listed.
Get a real one from GM or go to a good aftermarket supplier

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 01-20-2007 at 02:10 PM.