Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Steering Stabilizer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea 4x4 uses draglink where 2wd uses R&P
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

What PSI are your tires set at?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do have R&P. I usually keep my tires at about 40 pounds. Fabtech makes a steering stabilizer for the R&P 2wd silverados. what I need to do is check to see if I can make it work on a lowered truck instead of a lifted. I know alot of the wandering in the front end is caused by the directional tires I have. I am more irritated with the bumpsteer. I just want the bumpsteer to be minimalized because sometimes I drive my truck long distances and the bumpsteer gets old after while.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Checked with Fabtech's tech line and they said because of the angles of the suspension, their steering stabilizer will not work. Anybody have any other ideas on how to minimize bumpsteer?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well of course they're gonna tell you that if it won't work 100% outta the box. The real question is if some shade tree engineering would make it work with a minimal amount of effort.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

how wide are your front tires? you are also speaking of 2 different concerns. you say it is tracking but want to fix bumpsteer? too wide of a front tire and too much air pressure will cause tracking. i stepped down from a 275 front tire to a 255 and the tracking is way better.

to correct bumpsteer you have to get the angle of the tie-rods right. they sell bumpsteer correction kits for this.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1quickRST
I do have R&P. I usually keep my tires at about 40 pounds. Fabtech makes a steering stabilizer for the R&P 2wd silverados. what I need to do is check to see if I can make it work on a lowered truck instead of a lifted. I know alot of the wandering in the front end is caused by the directional tires I have. I am more irritated with the bumpsteer. I just want the bumpsteer to be minimalized because sometimes I drive my truck long distances and the bumpsteer gets old after while.
i have a hard time thinkin you have "alot" of bump steer.Its just not something thats talked about with a lower 2wd truck.
Have you checked your TRE's yet?How about the R&P itself? Wheelbearings?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Good point i would check the tie rods, jack up the front wnd or one front tire, grab it at 9 and 3, if you can rock it back and forth the tie rods are done.

My truck i had to replace them at 30k just after dropping it
Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Resident

I do need to do some work on the TRE's. Its from a modification I did to it to try and minimalize the bump steer. But even before I did the mod, it had alot of bumpsteer. I have been told its not uncommon on trucks that run big wheels (20's on up.) I was just trying to figure out a way to make it drive more like a stock truck. Once again, thanks for all the help! Once I correct the mod I did, I will see how the truck drives and go from there....
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait you didn't flip them did you? The DJM TR flip kit? Because that is a SOMETIMES it works thing. I would put them stock, make sure all ends a nice and tight and no play, and maybe have a little neg. caster factored in. It honestly sounds like your caster is off.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer...