Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Stock 4L80e build

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 206 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Stock 4L80e build

Hello, I hope someone here can offer some advice. I'm rebuilding a '95 model 4L80e I bought several years ago for my brother to swap into his 90 RCSB. He's swapping in a stock LQ4. I inspected everything on the transmission and looks in pretty good shape: pump body & gear look brand new, the forward drum doesn't have any grooves from the input shaft sealing rings and all the planetaries look good. Just your seemingly common issues such as front bushing wear and forward clutches didn't look great. The forward drum has a bit of surface rust, probably because it was behind my garage under the eave; I imagine from condensation? There's wasn't any water inside. This is only my second rebuild, so still learning. It does have the 16 element direct sprag.

I have 2 questions:

1. The input shaft has a bit of pitting on the front-most journal. Should I try to polish this, or replace it?
2. Is the 34 element sprag a direct replacement for the 16 element? I think a see a tiny bit of chatter marks on the mating race (but couldn't feel anything with my finer,) so that may need to be replaced?

Will post pictures later. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2022, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Here are some photos:
Old 10-18-2022, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

first of all...everything in your photos is covered in sand, and hair, etc
Need to clean this stuff up better for good photos so we can tell

to answer your questions. Any pitting needs to be polished out, or replace the shaft.
And the 34 element is definitely a replacement for the 16, but if the race shows visible wear marks, it's no good.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (10-18-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Intermediate sprag and race look good.

Sun gear shaft bushing chatter marks

Output shaft chatter marks(near the roller bearing.)

Overdrive carrier race chatter marks where roller clutch rides. But passes the "fingernail test", if that's a way to check this?

Rear main shaft rear-most journal and output shaft. This one definitely fails the "fingernail" test! 😞

Reaction drum and rear band
Ok, finally got to cleaning everything. So I think the input shaft I'm replacing...

The chatter I saw was actually between the overdrive roller clutch and carrier race, NOT the intermediate sprag (but will still upgrade to the 34 element sprag.) The surface still feels smooth when I pass my fingernail over the marks. It's almost like staining. (4th photo) 🧐🤔

What about the reaction carrier drum? I feel a bit of grooves, but this is the early grooved rear band. Just replace the band? (Photo 6)

I see a bit of chatter marks between the sun gear shaft bushings and the rear main shaft. Also chatter marks between the main shaft rear-most journal and the mating output shaft bushing. (Photos 2, 3 &5)

The pump has has bushing wear, which I think is normal and I was going to replace anyway.

So it looks like a bushing kit and rear main shaft also? Or just replace these bushings? I have a local WIT store. I do have a shop press at my disposal now. BTW, what causes bushing wear? Loading or lack of fluid service? Probably both?

On my first rebuild I used WIT 34006E from Transmission Bench, along with his training videos and master kit with solenoids and all. Is that still a good kit here? Except for the front main pump bushing, rear tail housing bushing and rear no-walk rear case bushing, all the bushings looked pristine and I didn't replace them on that unit.

Your input is much appreciated!

Last edited by strutaeng; 12-19-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:09 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

80E’s are hard on bushings due to the mass of the rotating parts. If there’s a lack of lube, the bushing wear increases greatly.
strutaeng (12-17-2022)
Old 01-06-2023, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Shiny!

The output shaft bushing actually is protruding inside a little bit. 🧐🤔 Will get replaced with the no-walk case bushing?
I finally had a chance to power wash the case. Got it pretty clean, but got all wet and grease spattered everywhere.

Got it dried up with compressed air immediately and a light coat of PB Blaster on the inside/valve body to keep shift linkage from rusting.
Jeff71 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Ready for La Mamalona. ☺️
The following 2 users liked this post by strutaeng:
Jeff71 (01-13-2023), shakenfake (01-09-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Some shiny new parts showed up on the delivery truck today. 😍

Wish me luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by strutaeng:
1redta (01-13-2023), Bluecollar Hotrods (09-20-2023), Jeff71 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Well, was pretty bummed out about the news about Red's passing this morning. 😔 RIP Brother. I hope to meet you in Heaven someday. 🙏

Had this damn client in NY giving me a hard time on this seemingly small project submittal. It's the typical "we need this ASAP even though industry standard is 7 days. Went to pick up my son for his first psychology visit (he was in the hospital back last Spring with some rare autoimmune disorder, but thank God he's doing better), went back to the office "after hours" to pick up the last-minute changes on the submittal and
sent it back...she emails back saying I sent the wrong pdf. Fu#$@ck! You are gonna have to wait until Monday lady.

Well got home, went for a little run at the park and my Amazon Chicom bearing race kit was in the mail. I started with easy things. Replaced the tail housing square cut o-ring, bushing and seal. Bushing had some scoring.

Last edited by strutaeng; 01-20-2023 at 11:28 PM.
Jeff71 (03-22-2023)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

​​​​​Replaced the case bushing with the Sonnax no-walk case bushing. The OEM is pretty narrow. Replaced the shift shaft seal and the little orifice seal on the back too.

Oh, after my run I picked up some chuck roast to make barbacoa this weekend... 😋

Gotta work on the suburban this weekend too.😒
Jeff71 (03-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Stock 4L80e build