Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

stock LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock LSD?

may very well be a newb question but heres the deal.... ive never done a brake stand in my truck until yesturday, but when i was done engulfing the neighborhood with that lovely scent of victory, i noticed there was not 1 but 2 black strips of rubber laid down for entire burnout. how was i catchin posi? is there a stock LSD?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes there is. Look in your glove box at the RPO codes. If you see the code G80, you have the stock locking differential. If you don't, well sometimes open differentials can spin posi.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KevinF56
Yes there is. Look in your glove box at the RPO codes. If you see the code G80, you have the stock locking differential. If you don't, well sometimes open differentials can spin posi.
yeah theres a G80 code, does this mean i can return the eaton lsd? is the stock lockin diff good enuff? if so ill return the eaton and get the YANK 3200 stall
Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

I would replace the g80 with the Eaton anyway. The g80 is prone to failure, which will often take out the ring and pinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
I would replace the g80 with the Eaton anyway. The g80 is prone to failure, which will often take out the ring and pinion.
think it couldnt handle only 5psi? i plan on just 5psi for about a year
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

The stock unit is famous for blowing up. If you are going do burnouts or hard starts you are running a risk. Even in a stocktruck.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trever1t
The stock unit is famous for blowing up....
Shoulda finished this sentence.

The stock unit is famous for blowing up BECAUSE forums are littered with carnage pictures of how little Johnny opened up the diff cover to find chunks falling out when his G80 grenade went boom. You're not going to hear any headlines starting with "Well little Johnny made it to school today, then came home. Stay tuned 'till next week...."

People love disaster pics, that's why there are so many of them on the boards. Think about how many stock G80's are out on the road, literally millions, I'd bet, all holding up to daily driving and the occasional lead foot. GM wouldn't put something into a rear end and then back it up with a warranty if they planned to replace it all the time, that's just not smart financial planning by the bean counters. They designed a true truck's differential to give open differentiation of the rear tires to help aid in gas mileage and city/towing navigation, while offering a strong mechanical locking mechanism to limit slip by either tire. Once a difference of 500 rpms is felt, the cam-ramps automatically lock in place and now you have a locked rear. 50/50 split of the power, just what you need to get out of that ditch or up and over a log in the back country.

When you start getting stupid with anything, of course it will break especially if it wasn't designed to take the abuse you're throwing at it. If you want to play, pay for it. If you plan to brake stand, launch hard, smoke the tires and increase horsepower above that of a stock or slightly modified factory setup, upgrade. Duh. Any of the aftermarket gear-type limited slips will work, so pick your flavor.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

this is absolutely true....but you only quoted the first part of my post I did say if he planned on doing burnouts etc. Yes, my last truck had a G80 and it performed ok...but my gear guy has a wall full of grenaded diffs too
Old 08-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by InchUp
Shoulda finished this sentence.

The stock unit is famous for blowing up BECAUSE forums are littered with carnage pictures of how little Johnny opened up the diff cover to find chunks falling out when his G80 grenade went boom. You're not going to hear any headlines starting with "Well little Johnny made it to school today, then came home. Stay tuned 'till next week...."

People love disaster pics, that's why there are so many of them on the boards. Think about how many stock G80's are out on the road, literally millions, I'd bet, all holding up to daily driving and the occasional lead foot. GM wouldn't put something into a rear end and then back it up with a warranty if they planned to replace it all the time, that's just not smart financial planning by the bean counters. They designed a true truck's differential to give open differentiation of the rear tires to help aid in gas mileage and city/towing navigation, while offering a strong mechanical locking mechanism to limit slip by either tire. Once a difference of 500 rpms is felt, the cam-ramps automatically lock in place and now you have a locked rear. 50/50 split of the power, just what you need to get out of that ditch or up and over a log in the back country.

When you start getting stupid with anything, of course it will break especially if it wasn't designed to take the abuse you're throwing at it. If you want to play, pay for it. If you plan to brake stand, launch hard, smoke the tires and increase horsepower above that of a stock or slightly modified factory setup, upgrade. Duh. Any of the aftermarket gear-type limited slips will work, so pick your flavor.
well thanks for the input, i think i will keep and install the eaton, but maybe just maybe first....i will add to the grenaded diff shrapnel wall of fame