Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

"stock" rebuild 4l80e or "built" 4l80e??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default "stock" rebuild 4l80e or "built" 4l80e??

Hey guys ive been throwing around the idea of swapping the 4l80e into my truck before i throw serious power in my truck and i cant decide if i should buy a junk yard 4l80e and have a transmission shop rebuild it to stock specs or just pay for a built 4l80e.. if i was to buy a built one, i would more than likely go with a FLT unit.. so far all i have found are 4l80e's from early to mid 2000's trucks and everybody wants almost $1000 for thwm then i would be looking at $500-$700 for a trans shop to rebuilt to stock specs.. if my goal is about 550-575 hp to the wheels then which 4l80e would hold up for me the best? When i put the trans in the truck i dont want to have to pull it back out for a long long time, so which one would be the most reliable for me?

Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A junkyard 80e will work fine. Just pull the pan and make sure it is clean.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A nice fresh stock 80e can take a pounding. But, knowing you don't want to pull it out for a long time I would seriously consider installing a nicely built unit. One that is dual fed with nice soft parts, roller bearing between forward / direct and at the output to case areas. Add a few distinct hydraulic mods and you should be good to go at that power level for years to come.

As far as cores go... around here a nice late model '97 and up unit goes for between $450 - and $650 depending on the source.

g
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
A nice fresh stock 80e can take a pounding. But, knowing you don't want to pull it out for a long time I would seriously consider installing a nicely built unit. One that is dual fed with nice soft parts, roller bearing between forward / direct and at the output to case areas. Add a few distinct hydraulic mods and you should be good to go at that power level for years to come.

As far as cores go... around here a nice late model '97 and up unit goes for between $450 - and $650 depending on the source.

g
I take it that all the work yall would do at ACE would be lioe what you mention above?

With a junkyard 80e im looking at reliable use under the power im making, but with a built unit im looking at bolting it up and pretty much forgetting its in there except for fluid and filter changes? Im just trying to figure out if the added cost of doing a built unit would be worth it in the long run or not really.. i think im only looking at a several hundred dollar difference between my two options.

Thanks guys
Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you shop around you can get a good used 80e for 800-1000 bucks. That includes a stock tq converter and dip stick tube. If you want get it built locally and add a shift kit. It will hold your power just fine.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

I say just built it
Old 02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01silvy
I take it that all the work yall would do at ACE would be lioe what you mention above?

With a junkyard 80e im looking at reliable use under the power im making, but with a built unit im looking at bolting it up and pretty much forgetting its in there except for fluid and filter changes? Im just trying to figure out if the added cost of doing a built unit would be worth it in the long run or not really.. i think im only looking at a several hundred dollar difference between my two options.

Thanks guys
In a word, yes.... that is what the build would look like if I were to build one for your application. The build I mentioned would be considered a base line performance build. There really is no need to get carried away with custom components in a combination like yours.

A stock unit could handle it easily, by if you're going to have it built it only makes sense to do the minor upgrades that will increase it's durability long term.

Hope that helps...

g
Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
In a word, yes.... that is what the build would look like if I were to build one for your application. The build I mentioned would be considered a base line performance build. There really is no need to get carried away with custom components in a combination like yours.

A stock unit could handle it easily, by if you're going to have it built it only makes sense to do the minor upgrades that will increase it's durability long term.

Hope that helps...

g
Yeah that helps alot.. when the time comes ill probly go with a built unit and not stress about it.. With a built unit from you would i be able to run 0% torque management and all that good stuff with no issues? Also for shifts i want just alittle firmer than stock(jjst enough to hold mh power good and notice it aint stock) would i acheive that with a transgo hd2 kits or would you set all that up for me?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been running 0 TM in my 80e for years. Its a junkyard special with a HD2. Shifts perfect with a little tuning.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats good to hear.. at the same time i do the trans ill be rebuilding the transfer case and doing a true trac so its gonna be a nice project.

Quick Reply: "stock" rebuild 4l80e or "built" 4l80e??