Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Summit deep tranny pan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summit deep tranny pan...

I been searching for an aluminum deep tranny pan for my brother (SmokinLM7) to go along with his B&M cooler for his 3400 PI stall and came across this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=KeywordSearch

I think its a good price plus we have a $10 discount certificate at Summit. So the total comes around $100 shipped. But like the title says...will it fit the truck's tranny? Anyone have one on their truck? Good or bad experiences? In other word is it worth it?

Some specs on the pan

Aluminum

2 quarts increse over stock.

Finned with Summit logo.

The no logo is $15 more...wtf?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well two extra quarts, and 2 degrees lower in tranny temp. Does $100 really seem worth it?

I'd rather spring for a good tranny cooler and possibly a good e-fan for the cooler.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess it'd be worth it if you had a efan and cooler already... i guess this would be like the next step... It will fit, however idk who has used this particular one. Resembles the same as the b&m one.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Hughes tranny pan wasn't going to fit without me taking off the exhaust. I said "screw that" and am selling mine. Though I would have really liked the drain plug.

I am with unredeemed....the better bet would be (1) a big tranny cooler, and, if necessary, (2) an electric fan to go on the big tranny cooler, in that order. Much more effective than a deep pan (if cooling is your goal).
Old 09-15-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well my brother got a B&M oil cooler 24,000 GVW (70264 model), which I don't think is big enough for a 3400 stall. It doesn't have an efan either.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Naked AV
My Hughes tranny pan wasn't going to fit without me taking off the exhaust. I said "screw that" and am selling mine. Though I would have really liked the drain plug.

I am with unredeemed....the better bet would be (1) a big tranny cooler, and, if necessary, (2) an electric fan to go on the big tranny cooler, in that order. Much more effective than a deep pan (if cooling is your goal).
Im sorry to hear that. I read you had a nice Y-pipe and wasn't worth the hassle. Cutting the exhaust isnt much of a problem for us becuase its the original exhaust piping and we could just sawzall it off and take the truck to a muffler shop and weld the pipe back on.

So you guys think an aluminum pan isn't worth the hassle and $$$? I was informed that its best to have a deeper pan when installing a smaller size converter. Since the PI stall is only 9.5" opposed to the 13" OEM, the transmision will have less oil capacity and less oil means hotter temp...thats where the deeper pan comes into play (holds more oil) gaining back the lost oil capasity.

Last edited by Tractionless; 09-15-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Im sorry to hear that. I read you had a nice Y-pipe and wasn't worth the hassle. Cutting the exhaust isnt much of a problem for us becuase its the original exhaust piping and we could just sawzall it off and take the truck to a muffler shop and weld the pipe back on.

So you guys think an aluminum pan isn't worth the hassle and $$$? I was informed that its best to have a deeper pan when installing a smaller size converter. Since the PI stall is only 9.5" opposed to the 13" OEM, the transmision will have less oil capacity and less oil means hotter temp...thats where the deeper pan comes into play (holds more oil) gaining back the lost oil capasity.
Just the stock y-pipe for me. The issue for me, however, is if I end up putting in a converter, I would want to probably drill some bigger holes in the separator plate for the 2-3 shift, etc., and would not want to have to remove the exhaust in order to remove the tranny pan in order to remove the valve body.....

You get the picture.

Transgo said 2-3 degrees max from a deeper pan (compare that to what a good tranny cooler can get you....you can even choose your temp with a fan). Pans seem more like a money-maker than a functional piece of gear, at least for a 4L60.

Now a 4L80, OTOH, seems to really benefit from a deeper pan.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default y-pipe clearance

damn, i didnt even think about that.. i tried to read signatures to figure it out but had no luck. i ordered a B&M deep pan, fat *** cooler, and pacesetter LTs with ORY pipe. is all this @#$% gonna fit together??
Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DakotaKiller5.3
damn, i didnt even think about that.. i tried to read signatures to figure it out but had no luck. i ordered a B&M deep pan, fat *** cooler, and pacesetter LTs with ORY pipe. is all this @#$% gonna fit together??
Well, if it doesn't all fit, that 'fat *** cooler' will probably do an excellent job all by itself.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Naked AV
Well, if it doesn't all fit, that 'fat *** cooler' will probably do an excellent job all by itself.
the cooler is 15.5x18x1.5, that qualifies as a fat *** right? but damn.. i still spent 170 on the pan...

Quick Reply: Summit deep tranny pan...