Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

SUV rear suspension - autoride help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV rear suspension - autoride help please

Hey Folks, I'm hoping to get some help with my rear suspension. The problem? The compressor is kicking in - if only for a few seconds - every time I fire up the truck. This is followed by a 'psssst' of released air from the shocks every time I turn off the truck.

Undoubtedly, I caused the problem, even if I'm not sure how. Here's the history:

Earlier this year I had new components installed - all Belltech stuff done @ Synergy Motorsports. 2" springs + 1" spacers up front, 2" springs (#5321)+ shock extenders and shorter sensor rods out back. I also installed both f&r anti-sway bars and shorter rear bump stops. The install and subsequent front-end alignment went great. No problems, just an anomaly up front - for some reason unkown even by Belltech I got more than 1' of drop up front - nearly 1.75" in fact. No harm-no foul. The truck rode great, it aligned without issue, and honestly, the front end looked better with the additional drop. The only "problem" - a bit too much rake since the f&r rear drop amount was nearly identical.

So, Belltech sent me some different rear springs to compensate. I installed these myself - being very careful to drop the rear without causing any damage. The install went fine. The only problem? No additional drop. Belltech meant to send #5305 springs, but sent #5323 ones by mistake. Funny thing...ride quality improved, nearly to stock. I kept these springs in for just over a week with no issues.

Next set of springs - the 5305's. These are intended as 4" drop springs, so I installed them with 1" spacers. Same caution, no apparent issue...until I put everything back together...no drop. Odd. So, I removed the spacers, and got the extra 1" of drop I was after. Looked great - and then I fired up the truck. The compressor kicked in right away, and raised the truck back up to where it was before. Worse, the ride quality was lousy. So, I called Belltech. They kindly sent me a replacement set of sensor rods and suggested I shorten the current ones even more. I did that, but had the same issue. Compressor would kick in with every ignition cycle. Plus, the right-rear was noticeably higher than the left. Checked everything and it seemed fine.

Lived with that for about a week and couldn't stand it any more. Swapped back to the 5323's. Played with the sensor rods and ultimately went with the first set (shorter than stock, but not customized any further) from Belltech. Now we're caught up. Everything under the truck looks fine. The ride isn't bad, but it's not as good as it was previously. The compressor kicks in on startup and then the shocks release the air on shutdown. I'm confused. Belltech is confused. I'm worried about the life of the compressor, and I'd love to get my ride quality back. I've since tried pulling the sensor rods completely for a day, with no luck.

I'm taking the truck back to Synergy sometime next week to let Rick & Drew take a peek, but if anyone - especially the pros and those more experienced than me - has any input, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!