Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Sway Bars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKID
I don't see how a SUV bar will clear your exhaust better than a forward mounting truck bar. I have attached some pics of the Helwig bar on the Tahoe and the Hotchkis bar on the truck which has zero clearance issues with my 4" exhaust.
From what I've seen in pics, the SUV bar will mount to the frame rails and would be outside of my tailpipe. I think that I'm going to end up with a forward mounting bar when the time comes though...probably do a front and rear set, either Belltech or Hotchkis. The Belltech appears to be considerably cheaper.

For those of you who are inquiring, sway bars help to reduce body roll and allow for more stable turning.

Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I would suggest the Hotchkis bars. You won't have any clearance issues with them as they also mount forward. I think they are a class operation both in product and service. Great to deal with! They also have different length end links if you are dropped. Quality hardware too with greasable bushings.
Thanks TurboJohn...do you know if a Hotchkis rear bar will clear my TA rear diff girdle? *EDIT* After looking at BigKid's pic, it appears that it does...hmmm. My original thought was Hotchkis, might have to just wait it out a little longer for one of theirs, or do the rear first, then the front. The Hotchkis front bar is 1 7/16 vs. the Belltech 1 1/4. I measured the stock front bar last night and it is 1.14"...

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
What brand does everybody like...Addco, Hellwig, Hotchkis, etc? How about hollow or solid, rear only or front and rear? And why? I remember a while back guys were into the Addco rear bar as an inexpensive alternative to say going with Hotchkis front and rear. The factory front bar is pretty beefy already, but I'm pretty sure that there are aftermarket alternatives that are about 1/8" thicker. Speaking of the factory front sway bar, is it solid or hollow?

looking around Summit, and Hellwig offers rear kits for 2" or 4" rear drop, as well as adjustable rear bars. What size are the front bars on our trucks, and are the 4x4 vs. 2wd different thicknesses? It appears that the aftermarket 4x4 offerings are thinner than what's available for 2wd...at least in the front anyway. ...
Hotchkis. Tho most any should help see handling gains.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
I rode in Toms truck and whatever he has really works great, it handles like a sports car! ...
Thanks my friend. Hotchkis.

adam8076, I'd say the diff. in lower priced to expensive bars is quality hardware, powdercoating, & metallurgy. Hotchkis excels on all.

... I found a few threads where guys just had to fab a few brackets and get some 3" exhaust clamps to make em work

After crawling under my truck and seeing where my tailpipe exits, I'd probably have to go the Tahoe route, as most of the aftermarket sways that I see attach right about where my tailpipe ends up...so I either have to move/cut the tailpipe, or go with the SUV sway bar. Considering my money situation, a trip to a junk yard might be my best bet anyway ...

I saw DR132 runs an Addco front sway on his '73 Nova; he said it was a HUGE improvement. FWIW I had a '71 Ventura - I did sways F & Rr, new BFG T/A's, all new poly suspension & I forgot what shocks. It took that car from unsafe & worn out to somethin 20 yrs. newer. One of best improvements I ever made in a car for what it returned.

Those bars pale in comparison to my truck bars in terms of finish.

... Think that I'll go this route when I get the scratch, and maybe get some poly bushings for the front It says 2wd kit, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on my lowered 4x4...

Belltech Sport Trucks 5502 - Belltech Sport Trucks Anti-Sway Bars - Overview - SummitRacing.com

probably do a front and rear set, either Belltech or Hotchkis. The Belltech appears to be considerably cheaper.

For those of you who are inquiring, sway bars help to reduce body roll and allow for more stable turning.

...do you know if a Hotchkis rear bar will clear my TA rear diff girdle? *EDIT* After looking at BigKid's pic, it appears that it does...hmmm. My original thought was Hotchkis, might have to just wait it out a little longer for one of theirs, or do the rear first, then the front. The Hotchkis front bar is 1 7/16 vs. the Belltech 1 1/4. I measured the stock front bar last night and it is 1.14"...
Ever thought to ask me your Hotchkis query, u tool?
I'm running their whole setup after all.

So the Belltech from Summit is ~$216. And Hotchkis? Others?

In addition to others on how they work. As u corner, it pushes in a way that counteracts or goes opposite to stabilize cornering. Physics 101: Every action, there's an opposite reaction.

I also thought the Bell. was 1". And Roger (KYSilveraddo) had a T/A & Hotchkis IIRC. Seems I asked him the clearance Q. Like TurboJohn6 said, I'd too suggest Hotchkis; he reminded me, greasable bushings too.

I think some poly bushings would do wonders for even stock bars. And you'd get a taste of handling, before goin all in. Cause I know you're on a budget.
They don't work on turtle slow 4WDs, so you're out!

Originally Posted by b4vwannabe
If you're lowered, expect the rear sway bar to affect the ride quality. At least it did on my NBS crew cab lowered 4/6. I had an addco bar that I had to take off as it made the rear ride really rough.
Here I figured it was the really flat leafs out back on mine, no deflection.

Along w/. my 4" drop out back.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-26-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Corrected some info.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Actually Roger had a Hellwig, I saw pics of his during my search for "sway bar" (I actually know how to use the search function).

Looking at front and rear kits on Summit, the Belltech kit goes for about $375, while the Hotchkis kits go for about $550-$560. The Hotchkis is definitely a nicer setup, with hollow bars, greasable bushings, and a 1 7/16 front bar that is 3/16 thicker than the Belltech front bar. (both kits have 1" rear bars, but IIRC, the Belltech's are solid)

Anybody have a Hotckis kit part number that would work on a 4x4 that is lowered about 3/4.5 from 4x4 height? (I guess about a 2wd 2ish/2ish actually)

*EDIT* I've added sway bars to numerous vehicles that I've had in the past with no adverse affects to normal ride quality, just less body roll as expected. My 71 Camaro really liked the rear sway bar and thicker front bar

Also, found a kit on Hotckis's site that might be in my future, PN: 2231:

http://www.hotchkis.net/9905_gm_1500..._lowered_.html

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually Roger had a Hellwig, I saw pics of his during my search for "sway bar" (I actually know how to use the search function).

Looking at front and rear kits on Summit, the Belltech kit goes for about $375, while the Hotchkis kits go for about $550-$560. The Hotchkis is definitely a nicer setup, with hollow bars, greasable bushings, and a 1 7/16 front bar that is 3/16 thicker than the Belltech front bar. (both kits have 1" rear bars, but IIRC, the Belltech's are solid)

Anybody have a Hotckis kit part number that would work on a 4x4 that is lowered about 3/4.5 from 4x4 height? (I guess about a 2wd 2ish/2ish actually)

*EDIT* I've added sway bars to numerous vehicles that I've had in the past with no adverse affects to normal ride quality, just less body roll as expected. My 71 Camaro really liked the rear sway bar and thicker front bar
My bad, I thought Roger was the guy using both a Hotchkis & a T/A girdle, & both clear ea. other.
I say on a heavy 4WD, a thicker bar would be better, whereas a 2WD may be less of a concern. That's my thinkin anyway.

Hotchkis isn't cheap (as in cost not quality), but I thought $500 for pr. would be closer. Yikes, that stuff had of gone up by a few $ since I got mine, but I bought a whole kit as my sig attests. In fact, while greasin her up yesterday, i noticed how rusty my frt. springs are. Gotta love snow & salt.

I could be wrong but what bout a bar for a 4" drop like mine? Maybe 4wd are diff. p/n than 2WD.
I see they differ from 2wd to 4wd, at least p/n does. Kit pic looks similiar.

Call Hotchkis to confirm if needbe on p/n for your custom drop.

Also, stock height rr sway & a 4" drop sway use same p/n, only differ w/. the dogbone to accomodate the drop.

*EDIT*:Or so I thought. Hard to tell from pic, unless they used same pic for 2 diff. p/n's.

Man I coulda got u some pics yesterday when I was doin my oil change. Woulda showed & made it real easy to see. Lemme know BH3.

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Actually, I'm on hold with Hotchkis right now...I figured that the only difference is the length of the end links...

2231 is $570 from Summit...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-2231/
Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

All of their techs are busy, they said that they'd call me back...

Wish that I had the dough for this, but at least I'll have all of my ducks in a row for when I do
Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wonder if this it handle any better, due to less flex in metal bushing brkts? If not , that's some coin to find out. Why don't u buy em, & I'll put on my truck & verify?
If they help, I'll pay ya, if not, u keep em.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension

Billy, "Wish that I had the dough for this, but at least I'll have all of my ducks in a row for when I do "

Get yer 6L done 1st.

At this rate, I'll have my ... on 1st. Actually, I'm tryin to work out a deal w/. my bro. He (along w/. say 2 others) & I take off my bed. Then repair my purge vent solenoid & relocate, redo my bucket & install my ahem ... high output intake fixture.

He asked where are u gonna do this? And what are u gonna drive?
Man, I need my own garage.

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-01-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Wonder if this it handle any better, due to less flex in metal bushing brkts? If not , that's some coin to find out. Why don't u buy em, & I'll put on my truck & verify?
If they help, I'll pay ya, if not, u keep em.

Hotchkis Sport Suspension

Billy, "Wish that I had the dough for this, but at least I'll have all of my ducks in a row for when I do "

Get yer 6L done 1st.

At this rate, I'll have my ... on 1st. Actually, I'm tryin to work out a deal w/. my bro. He (along w/. say 2 others) & I take off my bed. Then repair my purge vent solenoid & relocate, redo my bucket 7 install my ahem ... high output intake fixture.

He asked where are u gonna do this? And what are u gonna drive?
Man, I need my own garage.
They sure are purdy! I doubt that they'd do much for handling...maybe keep the bushings from deflecting a tiny bit, but they sure do look nice!

*EDIT* They don't have them listed for 1 7/16" sway bars...guess that we're out
Old 08-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info....so on my 5/7 it would make the ride quality worse????
Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4vwannabe
If you're lowered, expect the rear sway bar to affect the ride quality. At least it did on my NBS crew cab lowered 4/6. I had an addco bar that I had to take off as it made the rear ride really rough.
how would a sway bar affect the ride of your truck? they only work when there's a difference in load on your suspension side to side like in a turn. on normal roads at normal speeds you'll never even know they're there because they allow the suspension to compress as if they aren't.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars!