Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Sway Bars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Thanks man, I can't wait to get these things and get em bolted on...my buddy Tom (tdrumm) had the TVS kit on his now sold 2wd rcsb, which I had the pleasure of driving many times...those kits came with sways correct? I don't remember, but I remember that his truck handled great (and it moved out pretty darn good too )

Congrats on the purchase Billy! You'd be surprised to hear that my old truck never got the sway bars, only the coils and leafs, which BTW, are amazing too for all the 2wd guys. Back when I did the drop in 03 they didn't offer everything as a complete kit yet. The bars were on the very near future mod list though before I decided to move on from it. I see the price went up though, I think it was in the 450-500 range when I was looking a few years ago.

I will say that I had Hellwig bars on my OBS Sportside and they made an incredible difference in handling, although the finish was lacking compared to Hotchkis stuff. I'm sure these are going to work out great for you.

Let me know if you need a hand with the install!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrumm
Congrats on the purchase Billy! You'd be surprised to hear that my old truck never got the sway bars, only the coils and leafs, which BTW, are amazing too for all the 2wd guys. Back when I did the drop in 03 they didn't offer everything as a complete kit yet. The bars were on the very near future mod list though before I decided to move on from it. I see the price went up though, I think it was in the 450-500 range when I was looking a few years ago.

I will say that I had Hellwig bars on my OBS Sportside and they made an incredible difference in handling, although the finish was lacking compared to Hotchkis stuff. I'm sure these are going to work out great for you.

Let me know if you need a hand with the install!
Thanks Tom! Yeah, after I thought about it, I remembered that I didn't have any sway bar to contend with when I did your rear diff fluid after your 500 mile break-in period on your Yukon 4.10's. I guess that the combo of the Hotchkis spring rate, the 2/4 drop, and the 275/45-20's worked out well, even without the addition of a rear and thicker front sway bar. Man your truck would have handled awesome with the bars!

I'm hoping to have the kit by next week (Mark said that it should be shipped out by Thurs. (tomorrow) the latest), and next weekend Rosie is with her mother, so I was thinking that we could get your EVAP vent solenoid/hose/filter done one of those days if your free. I have to do mine also, as well as a bunch of stuff to the Blazer (upper and lower ball joints, r/s motor mount, cap, rotor, wires, battery and battery cables...think that's it ). Aside from the EVAP valve and sway bars, the Reaper also has a few small items to be addressed, including replacing one of the bulbs in the HVAC control unit, and "hard wiring" the power source for the Mio GPS that I received as a gift from Lexus. I still have the power outlet that I removed many years ago when I wired in an under dash light and installed a switch in place of the power outlet. I'm going to wire the power outlet in under the dash, plug the nav system power chord into it, and leave the chord neatly, protruding from the left side a-pillar. I'll probably take pics of that when the time comes too I'd like to get your vent valve done first, if the weekend of the 10-11th works for you
Old 08-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Calmax Anti-Sway Bars - Items - DJM Factory Store

These are the ones I was planning on going with.

What's better about the Hotchkis bars?

I really like how the rear mount is designed.

Name:  d628f077.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  17.0 KB
Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by iregret

These are the ones I was planning on going with.

What's better about the Hotchkis bars?

I really like how the rear mount is designed.

If I were to guess, I'd bet that the DJM bar will have the same effect on the vehicle's body roll as the Hotchkis bars that I ordered. I didn't find what size the bar is that you posted, but it's listed as being "tubular", which to me means "hollow", just like the Hotckis, it just appears that it mounts differently than the Hotchkis. It mounts the end links to the cross bar under the bed toward the rear of the truck, which is the same design as the Addco and Hellwig bars that a lot of guys run, and report good results with. I needed a bar that mounted forward as my tailpipe is in the way where the rear mounting bars attach, and I don't want to move the exhaust around (I just put the exhaust together a few months ago and like it the way it is). I've found that the Hotchkis and Belltech both have forward mounting rear bars, and my previous posts tell the tale of how I ended up ordering the Hotchkis kit

*EDIT* After looking deeper into your link, the rear bar that you're considering is a 1", just like the Hotchkis, and is about $245...it's your call man. That price is about the same as my rear bar so you could ask around and see what some folks have to say...I've heard good things about the Hotchkis stuff (a bunch in this thread alone), but I'm not sure who's running the DJM stuff and their feelings about them. I've heard good reviews about their control arms, and if I were to guess I'd *think* that their sway bars work well, but have no hard evidence to back up that guess.

Hopefully someone who's had some experience with the DJM stuff will find this thread and post up their impressions...I like to get as much info that we can obtain and share as possible

Last edited by budhayes3; 09-01-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Here's a pic I found of the rear bar installed.
Name:  3c117c7f.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  49.7 KB

I wonder how lowering effects the sway bar? Is the hotchkis rear bar adjustable?
Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YodiBrodi
how would a sway bar affect the ride of your truck? they only work when there's a difference in load on your suspension side to side like in a turn. on normal roads at normal speeds you'll never even know they're there because they allow the suspension to compress as if they aren't.
That's the beauty of them.

Just got off the phone with Mark at Hotchkis (great guy, awesome customer service!), and scored a smoking deal on a "blemished" 2231 kit...$420 shipped, straight from Hotchkis. I mentioned this site to him, and that I'm both a mod and a post/pic ***** lol, and that I plan to do an install thread, with pics, and my impressions on the bars Gave him my screen name, and he said that he'd more than likely join and lurk around a little bit, and would like to work some deals for some of our members if possible. I made him aware of our rules about non-sponsors, so if and when he does join up, keep your questions to him to pm's only please
Yes, you're a post-*****, but that's no secret. Nice score.

Originally Posted by Sc00by
Maybe I need to call about some parts. I would love to do the full swaybar kit. I would also like to talk to them about the old kit they used to make with the 4" drop leafs they used to make for our trucks.
That TVS kit is what I run & have for yrs.

... Those west coast fellas like to talk as much as I do!

If you get Mark on the phone you won't be disappointed with the service that you receive at all, he took great care of me (wish that I could have gotten that good of service at the drive through at Burger King yesterday...I was treated so poorly that I actually asked for their corporate 1-800 number, which is something that I never do...and my daughter said "Daddy, I'm getting scared", by the tone in my voice when I was "debating" with the personnel there )

Thanks man, I can't wait to get these things and get em bolted on...my buddy Tom (tdrumm) had the TVS kit on his now sold 2wd rcsb, which I had the pleasure of driving many times...those kits came with sways correct? I don't remember, but I remember that his truck handled great (and it moved out pretty darn good too )
Yes, u can talk. Unlike me.

Way to scare Rosie.

Your other buddy Tom has the TVS on his blue beast too.

TurboJohn, I look for it all, customer service, knowledge & price.

Originally Posted by tdrumm

I will say that I had Hellwig bars on my OBS Sportside and they made an incredible difference in handling, although the finish was lacking compared to Hotchkis stuff. I'm sure these are going to work out great for you. ...
Just coils huh? Now u tell me.

... I guess that the combo of the Hotchkis spring rate, the 2/4 drop, and the 275/45-20's worked out well, even without the addition of a rear and thicker front sway bar. Man your truck would have handled awesome with the bars!

I'm hoping to have the kit by next week (Mark said that it should be shipped out by Thurs. (tomorrow) the latest), and next weekend Rosie is with her mother, so I was thinking that we could get your EVAP vent solenoid/hose/filter done one of those days if your free.
Wanna do another Evap?!?

... Hopefully someone who's had some experience with the DJM stuff will find this thread and post up their impressions...I like to get as much info that we can obtain and share as possible
That's what makes u special.

Name:  d628f077.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  17.0 KB[/QUOTE]

Never saw those til now. I'd still buy the Hotchkis if doin again.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Hotchkis isn't adj.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the DJM bar clears stock a tailpipe and spare tire location?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Jeff_383
Does anyone know if the DJM bar clears stock a tailpipe and spare tire location?
From the pic that you posted, it *looks* like it does, but I'm not sure. Actually, in that pic, it looks to me like that bar needs some shorter end links as that truck is lowered a bunch...shouldn't the bar be fairly parallel to the frame? (looks more like it's parallel to the ground)

The DJM bar, Addco, and Hellwig are all secured to the truck the same way, and I'm pretty sure that guys run the Addco with their spares and stock tail pipes fwiw...

I already told ya Tom, take a ride over to the Garden State and I'll hook you up...I'll have mom start making the gravy now for the lasagna, and there's always an extra couch or bed somewhere that you can crash on
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Originally Posted by Jeff_383
Post #7 makes it sound like it does.
Upclose pics of the DJM Rear Swaybar - Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com

You might have to call them.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars!