Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Sway Bars!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Charlie Murphy!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What were the part numbers on the Hotchkis setup? I might consider it instead of the Hellwig.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used #2231.
I'm at about 7" down out back, and the rear bar is fairly level to the ground. Not sure if your 4X4 is lowered or not?
The following users liked this post:
TrevorH (07-25-2020)
Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My set is 2231 also...

I'd like to get the bars on before winter but I doubt that will happen at this point...but hey, you never know
Old 11-30-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just installed the hellwig bars front and rear on my '04 single cab long bed 2wd, super easy to install and so far i have two days driving on the front and one with the rear on...as best i can tell it's been a huge improvement and that's with snow/ice on the roads so i can only imagine how it'd be with some dry pavement...btw, not sure if this is allowed here so let me know if it's not, but anyone who's been debating between different brands, amazon has the hellwig bars on sale ridiculously cheap with free shipping which is why i went with these over any others...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DR132
i just installed the hellwig bars front and rear on my '04 single cab long bed 2wd, super easy to install and so far i have two days driving on the front and one with the rear on...as best i can tell it's been a huge improvement and that's with snow/ice on the roads so i can only imagine how it'd be with some dry pavement...btw, not sure if this is allowed here so let me know if it's not, but anyone who's been debating between different brands, amazon has the hellwig bars on sale ridiculously cheap with free shipping which is why i went with these over any others...
Yeah, you can mention about the good pricing on Amazon, just can't provide direct links or exact pricing. Those Hellwig bars look to be of very high quality, and from what I've read here, I haven't heard of any negative reviews about them. The Hellwig rear bar mounts toward the rear if I'm not mistaken? I remember that's what Roger (KySilverado) was running on his rig.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yeah, you can mention about the good pricing on Amazon, just can't provide direct links or exact pricing. Those Hellwig bars look to be of very high quality, and from what I've read here, I haven't heard of any negative reviews about them. The Hellwig rear bar mounts toward the rear if I'm not mistaken? I remember that's what Roger (KySilverado) was running on his rig.
alright cool, didn't want to break any rules ya know.......anyway, yes it does mount toward the rear, from the axle (obviously) to the tubular cross member that runs underneath the bed behind the axle, i'm not sure if it would have clearance issues with the spare tire in place, looks like it might be a little tight (i don't have mine there) and it is close to the stock tailpipe hanger but so long as your hangers are secure there shouldn't be any rubbing, some custom exhaust might get in the way, my exhaust ends before the axle though...it's definitely not as neat, tidy and out of the way as the hotchkis set up but it does the job and is a well made piece
Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you do with your brake line when you added an adddco rear bar? Mine has the same set up..
Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'd like to get the bars on before winter but I doubt that will happen at this point...but hey, you never know

Damn....... Bud..... yeah, I guess ya do really never know.

...woulda really liked to hear your feedback on the upgrade from your perspective, you always had good solid reviews.

seems most every thread I get a notification for now has a good Bud discussion going on!
guess he shall live on in more ways than one.

Originally Posted by dozermac
What would you do with your brake line when you added an adddco rear bar? Mine has the same set up..

I don't see how it should effect your brake lines? Mine remained unchanged and unaffected, but then again I'm not 100% sure the differences between the addco and hotchkis.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Recently installed Hellwig’s 7800 and 7685 on a ’11 ECSB.

Note the LR shock bracket requires minor trimming (‘07+) to facilitate upper saddle clamp fitment.
Nothing ten minutes with the sawzall and an angle grinder couldn’t handle. A spritz of Rustoleum and you’re good to go.
Its 6L80 also required a ~$10 7799 spacer kit for the 7685.

Regardless of supplier, they’re an inexpensive and worthwhile upgrade for any enthusiast.

Name:  GMC5325.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  125.3 KB
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been looking at those same sways for my 2010 splinter. I'd be interested in any other install pics you may have and your impression of the quality.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars!