Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Sway End Links?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sway End Links?

Has anyone upgraded their end links? I'm looking to upgrade mine on my 4 link 04 Avv (front & rear). I have Eibach sways already installed, but the OEM parts look flimsy and looking to firm up the handling.
How about shocks - any recommendations?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same position. Just added a rear hellwig sway bar and would like to upgrade the front endlinks and bushings. Energy suspension has options for my 2005 but I was wondering if there is anything better.

I just installed DJM Cal-Max shocks when I went to a 2" drop coil. I like them a lot more than the Belltech's I had on there before. A lot of people I know prefer Doestech but they were a bit to expensive for me.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got DJM Suspension end links on the rear of mine but it probably won't help you any since I'm lowered 2.8" in the back. These end links are much heavier than stock.

As far as shocks, I've got Monroe Reflexes on mine and like them pretty well so far (about 11K on them right now). They are a little stiffer than the OEM (junk) Bilsteins.

One of the Bilsteins locked up at about 24K and another started leaking at less than 50K. It's a quite different story than the OEM Bilsteins that were on my 94 Sonoma; they were still like new at 96K. I've heard the aftermarket Bilsteins are much better than the OEMs but don't have any personal experience with them.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Hellwig adjustable end links
Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thnx guys...I did the DJM drop springs on rear as well. I've thot about the adjustable links as well, but honestly need to understand what happens when u shorten/lengthen them(?) v stock. As for shocks, my OEM bilsteins are working fine, I just want to firm up the ride and make the truck more Targa/road X capable. Now that most of my power issues are woerked out its time to work on handling - so far brakes are all done (ss lines and Baer all 4 corners), sways, and gotta sort out whats best next.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ran the stock dogbones with the shorter springs for a couple of years and can tell you that the handling and ride suffered; I think it was primarily because of the wrong angle on the ends of the sway bars caused by the too-long dogbones (as I'm sure you're aware, the antisway bar ends rotated downward considerably from the stock location after the shorter springs were added).

Once I added the shock extender brackets, track bar extender brackets, and the shorter dogbones, the ride returned to stock-like. The shorter dogbones on the antisway bar made a huge difference in the amount of body roll. Compared to stock there is hardly any body roll on the rear of the truck now. I've thought about adding a new, thicker front antisway bar to complement the rear. I've always considered the biggest handling issue with the Av to be the huge amount of body roll it exhibited in turns (right up there with the crappy brakes).
Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

U have part #'s for the extensions and dog bones u bot? Didnt even know u cud get/needed extensions for the panhard bar??? As for front sways, I'd consider them more important than rears when u consider how much the thing dives into corners! As for brakes...go cheaper and just do the ss lines, powerslots and hawks (did that first) or go deep and do the 6 piston 15" Baer's I did...HUGE diff!!! Stops like a Vette now...R/
Old 12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhpro
U have part #'s for the extensions and dog bones u bot? Didnt even know u cud get/needed extensions for the panhard bar??? As for front sways, I'd consider them more important than rears when u consider how much the thing dives into corners! As for brakes...go cheaper and just do the ss lines, powerslots and hawks (did that first) or go deep and do the 6 piston 15" Baer's I did...HUGE diff!!! Stops like a Vette now...R/
I'll check at home tonight and see if I can find the info for you. I'm not sure if I kept the invoice or not.

Found the info: It's DJM Suspension part # RK2000. This includes the rear trailing arm (not panhard bar) extension brackets and the shorter dogbones. I added the shock extension brackets to this also so I could also retain the stock length shocks. The installation instructions indicate you need to do some relocation on the sway bar but I did not have to do this to get the shorter dogbones to work properly. After looking at the pictures of the dogbones it doesn't appear to me that they are much different in diameter than the stock ones. All I can tell you is they made a huge difference.

Last edited by Avalanche2002; 12-02-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Added kit info
Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thnx! Here's a pic of mine:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=452435

Ordered the parts: RK2000 & SE2000, also bot some new shocks...Edelbrock Performer IAC - not cheap, but shud take care of all my suspension for a while! Also bot the Edelbroke Panhard and track bars...went deep!

Last edited by dhpro; 12-02-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dhpro
Thnx! Here's a pic of mine:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=452435

Ordered the parts: RK2000 & SE2000, also bot some new shocks...Edelbrock Performer IAC - not cheap, but shud take care of all my suspension for a while! Also bot the Edelbroke Panhard and track bars...went deep!
I posted in that thread also. I like the cover but I'm not ready to turn loose of the change for it yet.

I've also thought about doing the Edelbrock track bars - they should help the handling considerably. I've not seen their Panhard bar so I'll have to take a look at it also. Let me know what you think after you get the parts installed.

Quick Reply: Sway End Links?