Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Synthetic or nonsysthetic for Eaton Posi

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synthetic or nonsysthetic for Eaton Posi

Anybody know what kind fluid the Eaton asks for. Also, does it need a couple of oounces of friction modifier? If it does, how many oz/qrt?

Last edited by Tiburon; 12-19-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know in mine i would run synthetic lube and a bottle of the gm additive. im sure an eaton would work with the same.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Eaton you want non synthetic lube and a bottle of ford friction modifier,the classic formula

It surprizes me how much wrong info get spouted off on this forum.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
Eaton you want non synthetic lube and a bottle of ford friction modifier,the classic formula

It surprizes me how much wrong info get spouted off on this forum.
all i said is what i used in my truck and that i thought it would work but i didnt know for sure. i didnt say i was right on the info. it suprises me how many people have no respect.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Veteran

You said you were sure it would work,you based this on what?Come on man you have all the respect when you answers someones question with a little knowledge to back up,not just to flap your gums or to up your post #s,please try to be sure of your answers when posting.Now dont be a pin head. peace
Old 12-19-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

you know all you had to say was no i have an eaton and this is what i use. i was wrong big deal. that doesnt mean for you to come in here and be a smart *** now does it. i could care less about my post count also.

have a good day.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FogleMotorsports
you know all you had to say was no i have an eaton and this is what i use. i was wrong big deal. that doesnt mean for you to come in here and be a smart *** now does it. i could care less about my post count also.

have a good day.
I could have but its not the first time you seemed confident in your information which was wrong.BTW
You call yourself foglemotor sports as if you were a ligit.business offering up expert knowledge.So what is the story?You not a motorsports dealer/business owner?
Lets keep this to a peacefull discussion please.

You know the guy asking for a experienced answer to his question may have been walking out the door to the parts dealer to buy gear lube,he seen your reponse and took it for truth,,then got in his truck and had to drive an hour to get to town to buy some lube that only make his eaton work like a POS.Now that isnt likely what happend but the guy may have actually thought you knew what your were talking about.

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 12-19-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

actually my family does own its own business. its not called foglemotorsports though. i put that as my name because i can. i dont have to ask permission to put my name as anything. you can pm me if you need to know any other information. im sure tiburon will be happy about hijacking his thread.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine last week and went to synthetic. Eaton does say NOT to run synthetic, but I went to synthetic anyway with the gm differential additive. I have seen no problems since doing this. I researched over at tech and it seems the only side affect would be some eccessive chattering when going around corners which I have not experienced. I personally feel it will not hurt the Eaton unit in anyway.
I will post if any problems show up from running synthetic. But, per Eatons website
------------What type of lubricant and limited slip additive should I use with my newly purchased Eaton Limited Slip Differential?

Eaton strongly recommends utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford).------------
Says STRONGLY reccomends, but does not say that you have to. I may shoot them an e-mail to see what they say.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FogleMotorsports
actually my family does own its own business. its not called foglemotorsports though. i put that as my name because i can. i dont have to ask permission to put my name as anything. you can pm me if you need to know any other information. im sure tiburon will be happy about hijacking his thread.

Im sure tiburon will be happy to just have some accurate information.Dont you think he would like that over a hi-jack

Quick Reply: Synthetic or nonsysthetic for Eaton Posi