Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

t56 max hp/tq safely?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 max hp/tq safely?

anyone know the max tq/hp you can pump through a t56 safely? looking at installing one in my silverado
i appreciate the help
-mack
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock or built? You cant run a t56 and 4wd unless you go divorced tcase.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Teching In

stock and divorced, i'm pricing out a project (new to transmission tech so please go easy if i say something stupid)..am looking at converting to awd via nvg149 and didn't know if it was possible to run that t case with a t56 flange to flange?

Last edited by mjfleming90; 10-26-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

How far do you plan to push this setup? I'm assuming you'll be using the tremec t56 since they've been available to the gen III/IV from the start.

A quick note: a manual trans is at it's most vulnerable during launch. With fast/smooth shifts (not ripping shifts) there shouldn't be a concern going down the track. How you launch will generally determine how it lasts. An automatic is at it's most vulnerable during shifts, when the gamut of rotating parts and clutches are changing speeds under power. Automatics have the advantage in the long run since the torque converter is a fluid coupling and dampens shock. But manuals are much "funner"

The tremec t56 is usually good for ~600hp in the F-bodies, while the borg-warner t56 was good to 700hp+ (older SBCs). It's pretty well documented as there's been quite a few BW units go 800hp with zero issues stock (-clutch)... a lot more than i've ever seen the tremec units. For some reason when BW sold the t56 to tremec the quality went down some. The biggest issue is both trannys is the aluminum 3-4 shift fork... the steel version (or "viper fork" as some call it) is a cheap upgrade and fixes that particular problem.

For a truck i'd guess 500hp would be the "safe" limit. Wide open clutch dumps off the line is where where things get hairy. Flat-foot shifting it and ripping the shifter as hard as you can will also pose a problem... the main shaft and syncros can not take that. You can launch hard, just don't side step the clutch with the go pedal to the floor off the line.

Upgrade the 3-4 to steel, use the viper output shaft, and use the latest syncros with bronze pads and you're good to 800hp+. There are some other options you can add but greatly increases the cost. Beyond that and the $5k g-force unit will be about your only option (they use their own shafts and low-helix gears cut out of a high-grade billet). With either setup you will need a dual clutch to handle big power... and with it you expose yourself to shaft failures again if you do full throttle launches on sticky tires. Dual disk clutches grab HARD.

Now the one thing you won't do with a t56 is tow a lot of weight (near max GVWR) for a long time. The gears and such are just too small to take the pressures and heat for the long run. The ZF transmissions are physically bigger as are the gears and shafts. With a little work they can be a good street trans but that has it's own set of concerns.

That should give you a general understanding of the basics. F-body, corvette, and GTO forums are a good source of info on the t56.